View Single Post
Old 04-05-2006, 05:59 AM   #10
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Howard gives Mavs a lift

By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS -- Josh Howard does something special for Avery Johnson.

"When Josh is on his game and he's playing tough, hard-nosed defense, and getting rebounds for us, getting some assists, guarding one of the better perimeter players in scoring," Johnson said without catching his breath, "I'm a much better coach."

And the Mavericks are a much better team.

Howard got the best of his personal matchup against Kings bulldog small forward Ron Artest as did the Mavs with Sacramento, running away to a 127-101 blowout victory Tuesday night at American Airlines Center.

The Mavs (56-19) completed a dominating two-game homestand against a pair of playoff-caliber teams, outscoring Denver and Sacramento by a combined 50 points with Tuesday's total setting a season high.

The consecutive routs should make for a pleasant two-day break before Friday's trip to Western Conference-leading San Antonio. Any hope the Mavs have of overtaking the Spurs (58-16) for the No. 1 seed is predicated on defeating their Southwest Division rivals.

"If we're still looking at that, we have to win," Dirk Nowitzki said.

Nowitzki did add that the focus for the last two weeks of the regular season isn't on seeding, but "feeling good about ourselves" going into the playoffs.

Since last week's three-game losing skid, the Mavs have plenty of reasons to beam. They're averaging 115 points, giving up 90, shooting 57 percent, allowing 42.4 percent and winning the rebounding battle by an average of 14.

"You look at the last two ballgames, we've been consistent, especially defensively, which has taken a lot of pressure off our offense," Johnson said. "I kind of like that stormy period that we went through now in hindsight. I hope we can continue to go back up the mountain because we took a big dip there for a minute.

"It's brought us closer together."

Nowitzki led the Mavs offensively with an efficient 29 points -- on only 17 shots -- by repeatedly pushing smaller defenders, including Artest. Nowitzki didn't play in the fourth quarter.

"We were in attack mode all game long," he said.

Howard continued his resurgence with 23 points, eight rebounds and four assists in 29 minutes.

Artest had 19 points and only three boards in 32 minutes.

Told of Johnson's glowing praise, Howard said, "It's a great compliment. All I do is come in working hard and Avery sees that. I just want to win."

The Mavs broke the game open in the second quarter, outscoring Sacramento 37-19. Howard had 10 points in the quarter, Nowitzki nine and Josh Powell added eight points.

Powell, the rookie power forward, also induced a whiplash moment for the sellout crowd of 20,128 when he spiked Brad Miller's short jumper into the Kings' backcourt.

With his confidence rising seemingly on each possession, Powell (a career-high 12 points) powered his way to the basket, hit the offensive board for a tip and stepped out for a 19-footer.

It was that kind of night for the Mavs, who also shot a season-high 61.3 percent. Seven scored in double figures, also a season best.

Marquis Daniels, back after missing two games with a strained neck, scored 11 points, while Erick Dampier had 10 points and eight boards off the bench.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote