View Single Post
Old 04-05-2006, 06:03 AM   #11
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

MAVERICKS NOTES

Powell steps up to fill vacancy

By DWAIN PRICE
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS - Shortly after Tuesday morning's shoot-around, Josh Powell assured all that he can fill the Mavericks' backup power forward slot vacated now that Keith Van Horn is out with a broken hand.

A few hours later, Powell -- a 6-foot-9 rookie from North Carolina State -- went out and scored 12 points and collected five rebounds in the Mavs' 127-101 victory over the Sacramento Kings.

It was an impressive audition by Powell, who converted 5 of 6 shots in 24 minutes and received a nice ovation from the American Airlines Center sellout crowd.

"I think he showed you why we like him," coach Avery Johnson said. "We have a lot of confidence in him.

"We like his energy, and, as we move forward, he can be a nice prototype NBA power forward."

During one 57-second sequence, Powell scored on a layup; blocked Brad Miller's shot attempt near the basket so far that it ended up past midcourt; was fouled on a drive to the basket and made two free throws; and grabbed a defensive rebound, sprinted upcourt and scored on an offensive rebound.

Powell views this as an opportunity to help the Mavs, and takes offense when people say he's not capable of making meaningful contributions in the playoffs because he's a rookie who primarily played in the NBA Development League this season with the Fort Worth Flyers.

"Me being a rookie doesn't have anything to do with anything," Powell said. "Being a rookie, everybody always has that assumption that he can't do this.

"That's cool, but I know what I can do, and my team has confidence in me.

"I just want to make sure I bring energy, play hard and carry out the plans both offensively and defensively."

Van Horn has surgery

Avery Johnson visited Keith Van Horn in the hospital Tuesday after the eight-year veteran had successful surgery to repair a broken bone in his right hand.

"He was in good spirits," Johnson said.

Van Horn was injured Friday against Orlando.

Mavericks officials said there's no timetable for his return.

Johnson purchased some books for Van Horn to read, a movie for him to watch and a rock CD for him to listen to.

Adelman likes Nowitzki

Kings coach Rick Adelman said Dirk Nowitzki should be among a list of serious MVP candidates, along with Phoenix's Steve Nash, Detroit's Chauncey Billups, Cleveland's LeBron James and the Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant.

As far as who should win the MVP, Adelman said: "It depends on who likes what. A lot always depends on where their team finishes."
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote