View Single Post
Old 04-09-2006, 11:19 PM   #62
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
In my mind, I'm talking about the fact that the team is built in a similar fashion to champions of the past. The offense, rebounding, and defense are all top 10 in the league (the offense and rebounding are both top 3). The team has the ability to score in the clutch and the ability to get stops. It has a superstar playing like the MVP, excellent coaching, and well-defined roles for each player on the team.

In the past, even in 02-03 (IMO), there were serious flaws. Now, there are still flaws, but I don't view any of them as serious enough to stand in the way of winning a title.
Those metrics in offense and defense and rebounding make a lot of sense, in that those criteria have a great bearing on wins and losses. I guess it depends on how loosely you define "built to win a championship." If by your definition three or four or more teams each season are built to win a championship, then I guess the metrics you put forth are really enough in themselves. But then again, if those are the metrics, then I suggest the terminology should be "built to contend for a championship" rather than built to win one.

I just get the feeling that a lot of people think there is a formula. There is no formula. There is no formula today, any more than there was a formula ten or twenty years ago. It is always relative. The Mavs spent several years trying to find an answer to Shaq, because in order to win the championship they would have to beat Shaq's team in a series. Now, then, they probably won't have to. And that changes things.

My belief is that the league is far more fluid--at least these days--than most people would lke to believe. It was something of a shock when Detroit beat the Lakers--and beat the Lakers DOWN, I might add--a couple years ago. That's because people were stuck in the same old mindset that the best players always win out. Today's NBA is a fertile ground for innovation, strategy. I rarely watch a good game that doesn't come down to tactics. There are ways, these days, that there weren't before. There are counter-attacks to the threat opposing you.

In short, I don't think there is a formula anymore. Phoenix may be built to win a title--certainly with a healthy Amare they would stand a chance. Detroit, their polar opposite, may be as well. Dallas, somewhere in between, may also be.

So what does "built for a title" mean?

Offense, defense, and rebounding....yes. But that's about it. And those are rather broad categories.

Last edited by chumdawg; 04-09-2006 at 11:20 PM.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote