View Single Post
Old 04-11-2006, 12:47 AM   #331
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
I certainly agree with you - the win is all that matters. I'm also cognizant of the fact that this was an anomalous offensive game for the Mavs. Unfortunately, I didn't have the benefit of watching the broadcast so I can't speak much about the defensive effort (though from what I'm reading it was very good).

I'm just saying that 37% from the field usually won't cut it no matter how good the defense is (as demonstrated by the very close call tonight - I'm a little inclined to believe that Dirk's last-second heroics are just as responsible for the win as the overall defense - though again, my inability to actually watch the game makes any judgment on the matter suspect). But I also trust that the Mavs won't be letting this sort of thing happen on a regular basis - even in the playoffs, so (you're right) tonight's offensive nightmare isn't a big deal.
Whoops. I was being--or rather, trying to be--sarcastic. I agree with you in full. The idea that your defense will be able to carry you no matter what, if your defense is good enough, is suspect to me. Hell, what I am saying. It's not "suspect" to me. I disagree with it in full. I'm all for a coach pushing a team to play the best defense it can play, but when that comes at the expense of passable offense, it ceases to pay positive returns.

Now, if a team simply doesn't have a lot of offensive talent, then hell yes, muck up the game as much as you can and defend till you give out. But when you have the offensive talent the Mavs have, I hate to see them play as bad offensively as they were playing tonight and hear that a coach wants to hang his hat on defense.

Would it kill Johnson to tell his team they need to get their heads out of their asses on *offense*?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote