View Single Post
Old 04-12-2006, 05:53 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Mavs' Stackhouse finds game again

Mavs' Stackhouse finds game again

Time as sixth man suited Mavericks guard, but he loves new role

OAKLAND, Calif. – Something wasn't right.

Jerry Stackhouse wore a sweet suit to Monday's game in Los Angeles and his tie was impeccable. But look a little closer, and you discovered he was wearing a T-shirt. Stackhouse blamed a mix-up that kept the shirt he wanted from being delivered.

Then it hit me. That's how I felt watching Stackhouse play in February and most of March. He didn't look bad, but something wasn't right.

In a Mavericks season that has been full of impressive performances, Stackhouse has been uncharacteristically quiet. That's why coach Avery Johnson quietly inserted Stackhouse in the starting lineup toward the end of last month.

It was the latest in a series of good moves by the Mavericks coach. The Mavericks need a forceful, effective Stackhouse to realize their potential in the playoffs. That is what they have been getting in recent games.

"I like what I'm doing right now," Stackhouse said. "I like starting the game, getting into a flow early. It's like sitting on pins and needles waiting to get into the game off the bench.

"I've done it for a year and half. It was cool. But I feel more in my element with what I've been doing over the last 10 or so games."

When the Mavericks acquired Stackhouse before the start of last season, there were questions about whether he would be a problem off the bench.

He was – for opposing players. Stackhouse was on his way to winning the league's sixth man award until a groin injury robbed him of a significant chunk of the season.

Stackhouse alone outscored the opposing bench nine times in 2004-05. He has done that seven times this season despite missing the first 26 games with a sore right knee.

But the 20-point games and the nights that Stackhouse made a difference became more sporadic after the first of the year. His shot was off, but there was something else. The edge that endeared him to Johnson and his teammates seemed to be missing.

Stackhouse scored fewer than than 18 points in the nine games before Johnson put him in the starting lineup. He was held below 10 points in three of those games.

"It might have caught up with me a little bit," Stackhouse said of coming off the bench. "Like I said, I talked with Avery. He felt he had to give me a jump-start because I was not playing as well.

"I don't know what it was. But I do know I picked it up once I got in the starting lineup."

The shooting percentage isn't where he would like it. Stackhouse has had a tendency lately to settle for too many jumpers rather than drive to the basket.

Still, he's a threat that spreads the court in a way Adrian Griffin can't. Stackhouse has scored 20 or more points nine times this season, and four of them have come when he's in the starting lineup.

The veteran guard doesn't defend or rebound as well as Griffin. But Josh Howard's return helps cover those deficiencies and frees Stackhouse to do what he does best.

"I love Stack's game off the bench or as a starter," Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki said. "He's a very explosive player for us. We post him up a lot. I like what he brings to the table. He's so aggressive, and he's one of our toughest players."

Now, if he could just do something about that T-shirt.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote