View Single Post
Old 04-12-2006, 05:54 AM   #2
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

MAVERICKS NOTES

Stackhouse glad to be starting over

By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Jerry Stackhouse is a starter. At least he was before joining the Mavericks prior to last season.

He's returned to his roots, and truth be told, would rather stay put in the starting lineup. He's comfortable, he's found a rhythm, and the Mavericks are winning.

Is there any need to change it with four games left before the playoffs?

"I don't have any gripes about it," Stackhouse said simply. "It's been going well."

The Mavs (59-19) have won five in a row going into tonight against Golden State at The Arena in Oakland. The Mavericks are in the middle game of a three-game road trip that ends Thursday at Phoenix.

Stackhouse began this season just like the last, as the Mavs' designated assassin off the bench. His offensive punch wasn't the only aspect of Stackhouse's game that coach Avery Johnson was looking for to key the second unit.

Stackhouse's ball-handling skills made him a facilitator for the offense, especially when Dirk Nowitzki wasn't in the game. Only point guards Jason Terry and Devin Harris average more assists than Stackhouse's 3.0, and the Mavs are 14-3 when he dishes out at least four assists.

Stackhouse had four assists Monday, when baskets were scarce in the Mavs' 75-73 win at the Los Angeles Clippers.

Don't think for a second the career 20-point scorer can't play man-up. Just ask him.

"I ain't no sucker on defense," he injected.

Though Stackhouse accepted the sixth-man job without complaint and flourished in the role, it wasn't a natural transition. He did get used to it, however.

After starting one game in February (Josh Howard was out), Stackhouse asked Johnson to return to the bench to begin the second half to get back into his routine. He won't be asking Johnson that again.

"I don't like sitting on pins and needles waiting to get into the game," he said. "I've done it for a year and a half. I feel more in my element now."

Stackhouse is averaging 12.9 points this season, though his scoring jumps to 15.3 points in 10 games as a starter.

But starting alongside Terry in the backcourt isn't guaranteed in the playoffs.

Adrian Griffin is working his way back, and the Mavs were in a groove before the defensive-minded veteran went down with a hamstring injury.

"There are some things I don't do as good as Griff," Stackhouse admitted.

Stackhouse's gifts do give the Mavs four scoring threats in the starting lineup, along with Nowitzki, Howard and Terry. With the previous starting five, opponents were able to lay off Griffin and center DeSagana Diop, freeing up a defender for double teams.

"They say they were going to make Griff and a [center] beat us," Stackhouse said. "The way we've been playing lately, they're not going to do that."

Playoff rosters

The Mavs will be allowed to take their 13 relatively healthy bodies into the playoffs. The league announced Tuesday teams can carry 13-man rosters in the playoffs, up from the usual 12, though only 12 players can be active for a game.

Teams can carry up to up 15 during the regular season, with three inactive. The Mavs have 15, though Keith Van Horn is out indefinitely with a broken hand, and Pavel Podkolzin is doing a rehab stint with the Fort Worth Flyers.

Avery Johnson might decide to include Van Horn on the playoff roster if there's a chance he'll play at some point in the postseason. Teams have until April 20, the day after the regular season ends, to submit playoff rosters.

Harris rejoins team

Devin Harris joined the team Tuesday, and Avery Johnson said he will suit up Sunday against Utah at home.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote