View Single Post
Old 04-13-2006, 06:51 AM   #11
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

MAVERICKS NOTES

Scoreboard-watching 'normal'

By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Don't think the Mavericks aren't conscious of what's going on with San Antonio.

"It's just normal," coach Avery Johnson said. "It's part of the whole process. But it's not like we're biting our teeth or begging for somebody to win and lose."

The Spurs are scoreboard- watching, too. With only three games remaining for the Mavs and four for San Antonio, the Southwest Division and the Western Conference's No. 1 playoff seed remain up for grabs.

But whatever happens with the Spurs, who have the inside track at the top seed, the Mavs are focusing within.

"That's all we can really do," Johnson said. "Everybody is saying we desperately need to be the No. 1 seed to have a shot at winning the West.

"I disagree. I just think we need to be playing good basketball and we need to be healthy, mentally and physically. That, to me, gives us our best shot."

The Mavs had been playing well, having won five straight entering Wednesday night's game at Golden State following a three-game losing streak last month.

"The good teams, or the great teams, respond to a lull they have in a season the right way," Dirk Nowitzki said, "and I think that's what we did."

Who will it be?

Not only are the first and fourth seeds still undecided (Phoenix and Denver are locked in at Nos. 2 and 3), but the bottom four seeds are also in flux.

The best bet is the Mavs' facing Memphis or the Los Angeles Clippers in the first round, though Sacramento, the Los Angeles Lakers, Utah and New Orleans/Oklahoma City remain possibilities.

"We have guys watching all the teams that we can possibly play against ...," Avery Johnson said. "I think over-preparation is a good thing."

Johnson doesn't expect the matchups to be settled until the last game or two. The Mavs finish the season against the Clippers on Wednesday, which could throw a wrench into Johnson's plan for a postseason tuneup.

"If it's not the Clippers," Johnson said of the first-round matchup, "I'd like to have a simulated [playoff] rotation going into the last game."

No Kemp

Shawn Kemp won't be making a comeback in a Mavs uniform, at least not this season. When the NBA rejected the team's request to sign an extra player because of injuries, Kemp no longer became an option.

"It's dead," Avery Johnson said.

Johnson added that the failure to work out Kemp in Houston last week didn't factor into the decision not to pursue the veteran power forward, who's been out of the league three years.

Briefly

The start of Wednesday's game against the Clippers at American Airlines Center has been moved to 7 p.m. for ESPN.

The Mavs have renewed their contract with flagship radio station ESPN/103.3 FM through the 2008-09 season.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote