View Single Post
Old 04-14-2006, 03:56 AM   #3
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Chat with Monta 'Mavs Killer' Ellis

Welcome to The Show! On Thursday, Golden State Warriors rookie Monta Ellis will stop by to chat!

Ellis has averaged 16.1 minutes off the bench this season, while scoring 5.9 points per game, which is the most among those who entered the 2005 NBA draft directly out of high school. Ellis was selected 40th overall, but has averaged 10.0 points on 47.4 percent shooting in April. The 20-year-old from Jackson, Miss. scored a career-high 17 points in Wednesday's night upset victory over the Mavericks.

Send your questions now and join Monta in The Show on Thursday at 3 p.m. ET, and tune in to ESPN Friday night at 10:30 p.m. ET to see the Warriors take on the Suns!

SportsNation Buzzmaster: Monta will be here momentarily to answer your questions!

jordan (jersey): whats the toughest thing to deal with bieng in the nba ?

SportsNation Monta Ellis: I'd have to say managing my time wisely. The things that I have to do off the court. Becoming a man too quick.

Chad (Ft. Worth): Well Monta....good game last night, you and your team buried my Mavs. Can you give me your take on the "western" race to the finals; Who is strong?; Who is dangerous?; ect.

SportsNation Monta Ellis: There's a lot of teams in the west. Dallas and San Antonio are the top two. But there are a lot of teams out there that are great in the west. If I had to pick one, I'd have to say the Spurs. They have a lot of weapons on the bench and in the starting lineup.

Ron (New York): How did it feel to play spoiler with the Mavs last night? Is it hard to stay upbeat at this point in the season?

SportsNation Monta Ellis: It wouldn't be hard for me, because I haven't played the whole season. I don't know how that feels. Right now, I'm healthy, feeling good. Last night, we just wanted to get over our losing streak.

Rudy, SLO CA: do you hear many comparisons between you and Gilbert Arenas? both drafted high 2nd round by the Warriors, similar style of play

SportsNation Monta Ellis: I hear that a lot. That's a great complement who have seen Gilbert grow into the player he is now. I know that I am going to make it the way that he did.

Matt, CA: Whats up Monta, how come you wear the number 8? Go Warriors.

SportsNation Monta Ellis: The number I wore all my life was 11 but someone had that. I picked 8 because I grew up watching Kobe Bryant and I like his game.

Tom (San Francisco): Monta - Great game last night, you seem to have a very high basketball IQ, why do you think Monty hasn't played you at the point that much? and is that your desired position?

SportsNation Monta Ellis: I really can't answer that question about coach. But the second one, I could play the one or the two, I've played them both in my career. But it really doesn't matter to me where I play. I just want to help my team win.

Barry (Golden State): Did the hurricanes last year affect your hometown back in Mississippi at all?

SportsNation Monta Ellis: Not as bad as it did the Gulf Coast. But the rain and wind came through and knocked a hole in my grandparents' roof. But that's all fixed now.

Jeffrey (Meridian, MS): Monta, I saw you play in person last year against Meridian where you dunked over 3 of our guys. What has been your favorite dunk during your high school or pro career?

SportsNation Monta Ellis: My best dunk? Oh man. I would have to say my best dunk was went I got my second dunk against the Lakers. I went up over Devean George.

gswfan (San Jose, CA): do you hang out with warrior players off the court?

SportsNation Monta Ellis: We're a team. We try to do as much as we can together off the court. We try to take time out and hang out with each other. We try to build our team so we know each other front and back like we've known each other all our lives.

Pat (Denver): What opponent was the best straight up defender you've matched up against?

SportsNation Monta Ellis: I'd say Kobe.

Patrick(Oakland): Monta- Awesome performance last night against a tough team. What do you think it will take for the W's to be in the playoff hunt next year?

SportsNation Monta Ellis: Play like we did last night.

Allen (Saugus, MA): How's it feel to be a rookie in the NBA? Have you adapted yet?

SportsNation Monta Ellis: There's a lot of guys who would love to be in my shoes. I appreciate that a lot. It's great. It's my dream come true.

Joe (Brentwood, CA): Monta you got great skills but what are you going to do this offseason to become even better? If I was you, I would work on a Iverson type crossover.

SportsNation Monta Ellis: I'm going to work on every part of my game and try to workout to get stronger. I'm also going to work on my left hand to get it stronger.

Yoel Los Angeles: Hey Monta! I am 20 years old and always dreamed of playing for a College Basketball Championship. Don't you think you missed out on a great thing like playing in college to head straight to the pros after (H.S.) I think you would've been a REALLY GREAT college player.

SportsNation Monta Ellis: I made the decision because I wanted to accept a bigger challenge. I don't think I missed out on a big thing, because I have a bigger challenge here. I really don't think about it.

Eric (CA): What is it like to go against J-Rich in practice everyday? Does he do a lot of crazy dunks?

SportsNation Monta Ellis: It's great because if he didn't push me in practice like he does, then I wouldn't be playing like I am now. It's a great experience. I just love playing with him.

Topher (Santa Cruz): While in high school, who inspired you to take your game to the next level?

SportsNation Monta Ellis: Chauncey Billups, because he does it on the offensive and defensive ends of the court.

Steve Dallas, TX: How was that game against Dallas last night? Hard, easy, playoff atmosphere?

SportsNation Monta Ellis: It was a playoff type atmosphere. They were going hard, we were going hard. It just feels great like we were playing for a playoff spot.

Dominik (Chicago, IL): What is your MVP for the 05-06 season?

SportsNation Monta Ellis: Hands down. Kobe Bryant.

Alameda, CA: Yo Monta, who gets more chicks, you or Adonal Foyle?

SportsNation Monta Ellis: (laughs) I'm not going to answer that! No comment.

Sam (Ben Lomond): What was it like when you first took the court in the nba?

SportsNation Monta Ellis: It felt great. I was thinking to myself that I made it. It's just your time to prove to everybody that you belong here and I tried to make the best of it. It's always a dream to me to be an NBA player and my dream came true. You can't explain it.

Kirby (San Francisco, CA): The bay and mississippi are two pretty different places. How are you liking the bay area?

SportsNation Monta Ellis: I love it here because of the weather. It's not too hot, not too cold. I don't have to watch my back when I go places.

Nathaniel Gomez: Hi Monta, What would you say is the strongest part of your game and also what do you need to work on the most?

SportsNation Monta Ellis: The strong part of my game is getting to the basket. The part I need to work on is getting my left hand stronger.

Jeff (East Bay, CA): 49ers or Raiders?

SportsNation Monta Ellis: Dallas Cowboys fan until the day I die.

Dave (santa cruz, ca): how would you describe your relationship with assistant coach mario elie?

SportsNation Monta Ellis: Like my high school coach. It's more like a father-son type thing.

Sam (Ben Lomond): What do you think of the fans here in the bay area?

SportsNation Monta Ellis: They're great. There's none in the world like them.

Tom (San Francisco): Monta - What is your favorite restaraunt in the Bay Area?

SportsNation Monta Ellis: Tony Romas.

Dominik (Chicago, IL): When did you start playing basketball?

SportsNation Monta Ellis: When I was five years old.

Ras Creek (Ga): What's the 1st thing you bought with an NBA check?

SportsNation Monta Ellis: I bought my mom a car.

Kevin (Oakland): Great game last night, what are your goals over the next few games when you should be getting considerable playing time?

SportsNation Monta Ellis: Just riding it out and finishing the season and trying to get better every game.

SportsNation Monta Ellis: Keep supporting me and the Warriors. Have a great day and thanks for joining me today.
----------------------------------------------------------

Who's No. 1, Part 2

By Chad Ford
ESPN Insider

More than a month ago, we wrote that a rather intense debate is emerging concerning the order at the top of the draft.

At the time, we wrote that the three consensus best players in the draft were all forwards: Texas sophomore LaMarcus Aldridge, UConn sophomore Rudy Gay and Gonzaga junior Adam Morrison.

It's amazing how much can change in a month. One player, Gay, has fallen a notch in the opinion of most scouts because of a less than impressive tournament performance. Another, Morrison, also seems to have lost a little traction. Meanwhile, three other players -- LSU's Tyrus Thomas, Florida's Joakim Noah and Italy's Andrea Bargnani -- have inserted themselves in the mix with excellent performances when they matter most.

Of the original three, Aldridge still gets scouts excited. Aldridge projects to be primarily a four in the NBA. Although he still needs to add muscle to a fairly lanky frame, that's the only real knock on his game right now. On offense, he can kill you both facing the basket and with his back to it. He's extremely difficult to guard in transition, and he's a dominant force on the glass.

Morrison is still the sentimental favorite, although he lost a little luster during the tournament. Still, the last college player to come into the league with this much hype was Carmelo Anthony. Morrison does just about everything well. He's a crafty scorer who can light it up from everywhere on the floor. He also has the intangibles down cold. He is a fierce competitor who showed up for the full 40 minutes every night. However, his inability to defend and his general lack of athleticism have worried scouts all year. The closer we get to the draft, the louder those concerns seem to get.

Thomas has passed everyone on our Big Board in the space of a month. At the start of the season, he wasn't in our Top 100. But now scouts feel as though Thomas might be the best prospect in the draft. He isn't nearly as polished as you'd like a No. 1 pick to be, but he's long, is super-athletic, has a great motor and proved in the tournament that he can change the game with his shot blocking and rebounding. He even showed some glimpses of an emerging perimeter game. He's the least ready for the NBA right now but has the highest upside.

Noah's a little tougher to figure out. Scouts love him after one of the most dominant performances in recent tournament history. He's very long, very energetic and showed some emerging offensive prowess in the tournament. Almost as important, Noah's popularity soared, making him almost as well known as Morrison among NBA fans. He's one of the few guys in the draft with star potential, and he's only going to get better. The issue is that Noah has been adamant that he's returning to Florida for his junior season.

If he sticks to his guns, he'll be passing up a great shot at being the No. 1 pick in the draft. That's why scouts are still skeptical about his decision to return to school, and that's why we're still including him in the mix until the April 29 deadline passes.

Bargnani is the dark horse. More and more GMs and American scouts are returning from trips to Italy and raving about him. Several have declared that not only is he the closest thing to Dirk Nowitzki that they've seen but he's also the best prospect in the draft. Bargnani isn't a Euro workout wonder. He's getting regular minutes in the best league outside of the NBA and has had a number of impressive games.

He still needs to add strength and experience, but he's one of the most NBA-ready of the bunch. The question with Bargnani? After the Darko disaster of 2003, does any GM have the guts to pull the trigger on an international player this high in the draft? That international backlash issue has lessened over the last month as Milicic has started to prove in Orlando that Joe Dumars wasn't crazy when he selected him with the No. 2 pick. Still, the hesitancy is there.

Who will go No. 1? As I wrote a month ago, there is no mock draft in the sky that preordains draft order. Despite what GMs like to tell the media, needs do matter. In situations like these, where there are three highly rated players with no clear-cut advantage over the other two, teams usually (Billy Knight, Chris Paul wants to know if you're reading?) look for fit.

Over the past week, Insider talked to scouts or executives from every team projected to be in the draft lottery in an effort to determine what each would do with the No. 1 pick. Some were open; some refused to answer. Here's Insider's take on where each team stands in the five-way debate to determine who's No. 1.

Portland Trail Blazers

Odds of winning the lottery: 25 percent
This is a tough one. The Blazers have players of the future at the three (Darius Miles) and the four (Zach Randolph), and young studs at the point (Sebastian Telfair) and the two (Martell Webster). What to do?

After drafting high school players the last three years and seeing few dividends, it might be time to go with a guy who has a more proven track record. Noah seems like an obvious choice. He has the right attitude; he can play center (the one position where the Blazers are weak); and he's a winner. If Noah is not in the draft, the Blazers would have to decide between Thomas and Morrison. Drafting a local star like Morrison would inject some life into a pretty listless franchise and give the Blazers a pretty serious trading chip on the open market in Miles. Thomas lacks experience, but he has a lot more upside than Randolph. The Blazers made that mistake last year when they passed on Paul because of Telfair. Will they make it again?

Edge: Noah

Charlotte Bobcats

Odds of winning the lottery: 19.9 percent
The Bobcats' biggest need is a swingman who can shoot the rock. GM Bernie Bickerstaff is said to have a fondness for Morrison and Bargnani. Both guys can stroke the ball and score in bunches (although Bargnani is closer to a four than a three). However, don't be surprised if Bickerstaff opts to add another big man to the mix. The best three prospects in the draft are big guys, and Bickerstaff might not want to pass on them. Noah has the type of frantic energy and hustle Bickerstaff loves. Aldridge is a smooth, multidimensional big man -- something the Bobcats don't have. Thomas is a long athlete who rebounds, blocks shots, and flies up and down the floor. The Bobcats have some of that in Okafor and May, but Thomas has more upside than either of them. This is a really tough call ... although the good news for Charlotte is that, unlike last year, any of the top players in the draft might help.

Edge: Bargnani

Chicago Bulls (via the Knicks)

Odds of winning the lottery: 15.6 percent
GM John Paxson is voting for Isiah Thomas as executive of the year. Not only did he take the Bulls' big center with an alleged heart problem off his hands, he gave him what could be the No. 1 pick in the draft this year and possibly next year, as well. The Bulls seem to be set at small forward right now with Luol Deng and Andres Nocioni coming along nicely. What they do need is some height and scoring in the frontcourt. Aldridge appears to be a slam dunk for Chicago if it draws No. 1. However, sources claim Tyrus Thomas is the player Paxson really loves. So ...

Edge: Thomas

Atlanta Hawks

Odds of winning the lottery: 11.9 percent
If history tells us anything, it's that Billy Knight is going to fall in love with Morrison or Gay and draft, for the third consecutive year, a small forward with his lottery pick. In 2004, he grabbed Josh Childress and Josh Smith. In 2005, it was Marvin Williams. This year, a source in Atlanta says Knight's in love with Gay's length, athleticism and upside. But he drafted a similar player last year in Williams. Let's hope he'll learn from his mistakes and go with the guy who could help his team in an area of need.

Unfortunately, the Hawks' two biggest areas of need -- point guard and center -- are pretty thin this year. I think Noah is a lock for Atlanta if he stays in the draft. If he's out, the choice will probably come down to Thomas and Bargnani. Thomas gives the team some great rebounding and shot blocking (although Smith seems as though he can do that, too). Bargnani gives them a versatile four who can score inside and out. It will be a tough choice between those two if Noah isn't in the draft. One European source said the Hawks have been scouting Bargnani heavily this year ... but knowing Knight, he probably sees Thomas as the better fit.

Toronto Raptors

Odds of winning the lottery: 8.8 percent
The Raptors could really use a center or a starting two-guard. If Noah is available, he'd be the likely pick for Toronto. If he's not in the draft, the pick is tougher. The Raptors are trying to build around Chris Bosh and Charlie Villanueva, which would appear, on the surface, to preclude their drafting a three or a four. New GM Bryan Colangelo is a big fan of Bargnani, and Morrison's dynamic scoring ability would be a hit in Toronto. If they go either direction, Villanueva, who's really a four masquerading as a three anyway, would make great trade bait in an attempt to land a legit starting center.

Golden State Warriors

Odds of winning the lottery: 6.3 percent
The Warriors already have two young small forwards, two young power forwards and one young center, so need isn't going to be the issue. The key is which player is the best fit for the franchise. Morrison doesn't make much sense. He's a scorer who will never touch the ball as long as Baron Davis and Jason Richardson are controlling it. Noah is a better version of Andris Biedrins -- but how much better? Golden State obviously loves Ike Diogu, but Thomas is bigger, more athletic and better suited for the up-tempo game Baron loves to run. Ditto for Aldridge.

Boston Celtics

Odds of winning the lottery: 4.3 percent
The Celtics are set at the four, and they already have Morrison -- his name is Wally Szczerbiak. So what do they do? Noah's a great fit if he's around. He's the exact opposite of Kendrick Perkins and Al Jefferson. If he's not in the draft, Thomas just so happens to be Danny Ainge's type. Long, athletic and oozing upside.

Minnesota Timberwolves

Odds of winning the lottery: 2.8 percent
Minnesota has talent at every position, so does it go with the player with the most upside or the player who's ready to come in and contribute right away? Noah's the guy if the Wolves want someone who can come in and match Kevin Garnett's energy and desire to win. Long term, Thomas could be a potent frontcourt partner with Garnett.

Houston Rockets

Odds of winning the lottery: 1.7 percent
The Rockets need a tough defensive presence in the post to counter Yao Ming, and Thomas fits the bill. Some will scoff and say they already have Thomas -- his name is Stromile Swift. But Swift's lack of energy has earned him long spells on the pine. Thomas brings all Swift's physical tools and combines them with hustle. It would be a match made in heaven. Aldridge might also make some sense. He's a local kid who can score with his back to the basket.

Seattle Supersonics

Odds of winning the lottery: 1.1 percent
This one's a no-brainer. Now that Chris Wilcox has come in and answered the Sonics' biggest need in the post, it's time to fill their biggest need off the court -- an identity. Ever since Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp left town, the Sonics have been a team searching for a fan base. Morrison is wildly popular in Washington and would draw the fans back into the arena. What happens to Rashard Lewis? His trade value has never been higher. Seattle could easily turn him into a much-needed front-line piece.

Edge: Morrison

Orlando Magic

Odds of winning the lottery: 0.8 percent
Here's another team I think will have a pretty clear-cut preference. The team is set in the frontcourt with a combination of Dwight Howard and Darko Milicic, and the Magic have a young emerging backcourt player in Jameer Nelson. If they could add Noah to that tandem, they'd be crazy not to. No one could touch Orlando in the paint. If Noah's not in the draft, the Magic might go small.

With Grant Hill nearing the end of his tenure in Orlando, it will be time to start thinking about a long-term replacement. Trevor Ariza is a nice player, but he doesn't hold a candle to Gay or Morrison. I think the defining factors for the Magic will be two things. (1) Although the frontcourt shows a ton of defensive potential, neither Howard nor Milicic is outstanding offensively yet. Adding some offensive firepower to the frontcourt will be important. (2) Like a lot of teams, the Magic are still trying to find an identity. Morrison brings both things to the table.

Philadelphia 76ers

Odds of winning the lottery: 0.7 percent
The Sixers have a lot of talent, but none of it meshes. If they still believe in Samuel Dalembert, they'll probably want to stay away from Noah and Thomas. Morrison doesn't make much sense. That brings it down to Aldridge and Bargnani. I think Bargnani could be the guy. Although he's not a better shooter than Kyle Korver, he's a much better player, and that will mean something in the long run.

Edge: Bargnani

New Orleans Hornets

Odds of winning the lottery: 0.6 percent
After giving up Jamaal Magloire and losing Chris Andersen to a drug suspension, the Hornets lack that super-athletic defensive presence that can rebound and block shots. This one is easy. Thomas is from Louisiana and would be a perfect fit on a young, up-and-coming Hornets team.

Utah Jazz

Odds of winning the lottery: 0.5 percent
The Jazz's real need is at the two, and the word on the street is that J.J. Redick's their man if he's still on the board when they pick. If they beat all odds and win the lottery, there's no clear-cut pick here. They could use some more athleticism in the paint, and Thomas and Noah both fit. The team also needs a go-to scorer who can shoot with range. Morrison's the only guy who fits the bill in the department.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.