View Single Post
Old 04-14-2006, 04:47 AM   #21
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

MAVERICKS NOTES

Avery can't shake loss

By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

PHOENIX -- Mavericks coach Avery Johnson understands that the loss to Golden State on Wednesday, no matter how disappointing, is just one out of 82 games.

But that doesn't make it any easier.

"I don't move on from losses," Johnson said before Thursday night's game against Phoenix. "I haven't mastered that part of coaching. Maybe I will after 50 years. I didn't master that part as a player, so it's even worse now as a coach.

"We were also disappointed. For some reason or another we just hadn't played well against the at team. I guess veteran coaches would say, 'Oh, just chalk it up.' I'm just not there yet."

Frustration bordering on anger poured from Johnson after the lottery-bound Warriors dominated the Mavs 114-102.

He went so far as suggest the team, coaches included, give owner Mark Cuban back their one game's worth of pay.

Coaches, no matter the sport, have always said the victories fade, while the losses stick a long time.

Johnson might only be in his first full season as a coach, with a sparkling record of 75-22 going into Thursday, but he's no different.

"When you have one of them, it always seems like it's 10," he said of losses. "Somebody told me we've only lost 20 games this year, but when we lose it always seems like we lost five in a row."

Johnson was still calling for more "internal leadership" on Thursday, with Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Terry and Jerry Stackhouse the prime suspects. Johnson said leadership has been there, it's just not at the level he wants it to be.

"As point guard of the team, it's my job to get us focused, get us energized and get us going," Terry said of Warriors loss. "I didn't do that."

Harris returns

Backup point guard Devin Harris returned to live action against Phoenix, a game earlier than expected.

"We could have done it Sunday," Avery Johnson said of the home game against Utah, "but Sunday may delay us too much for the playoffs."

Harris checked in midway through the first period and immediately displayed some of the quickness and penetrating ability missing from the Mavs' attack.

Working out of the weave, Harris drove to the basket and earned a pair of free throws. The plan was for Harris not to play more than 10 minutes or so.

"We just want to let him get his feet wet," Johnson said. "This game won't even have any barometer on what we think. This is just a night to get him on the floor, play a few minutes."

After missing 22 games with a strained quadriceps since Feb. 10, Harris wasn't about to put too much pressure on himself before the game.

"No expectations," he said. "Just try to get my feet back under me, get comfortable and get out there running with the plays. I don't expect to go out there and be absolutely effective."

Roster shake-up

With the last three games basically meaningless in terms of the Western Conference -- even with San Antonio's loss Thursday to Orlando -- Avery Johnson took a few liberties with the lineup.

Jerry Stackhouse, the starting shooting guard the past 10 games, was inactive, and Adrian Griffin started.

DeSagana Diop's 43-game starting streak at center came to an end, with third-teamer DJ Mbenga receiving the nod.

Ten Mavs played in the first quarter, an obvious move by Johnson to spread more playing time around.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote