View Single Post
Old 04-15-2006, 04:57 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Mavs' attention shifts toward playoffs

Mavs' attention shifts toward playoffs

By DAVID MOORE / The Dallas Morning News

Avery Johnson has pushed and prodded and cajoled in his high-pitched Cajun accent all season.

He ripped his team after a loss to Golden State three days ago, saying it played with no emotion, lacked leadership and should consider giving owner Mark Cuban a rebate. Johnson then returned to the coach's office in the locker room, where he met with his assistants and Cuban. When the door opened 20 minutes later, the Mavericks had a new approach.

It was time to back off for the final week of the regular season.

The pursuit of the San Antonio Spurs for the best record in the Western Conference became less important than ensuring the mental and physical well-being of the team as it entered the playoffs.

The next afternoon, the players saw Johnson relaxing by the pool. Even after a loss in Phoenix to the Suns later that evening, Johnson and the players appeared unusually upbeat. Forward Dirk Nowitzki talked about the importance of every player feeling good about himself before the playoffs hit.

"It's Avery's call," Cuban said of what took place during that meeting. "I trust him completely. He wanted to give some guys a rest, others some time and most importantly, increase our practice time."

The players trust Johnson's judgment on these matters. Jerry Stackhouse called the coach the heartbeat of the team. Veteran Adrian Griffin praised Johnson's ability to gauge the mood of the team by reading body language.

"He's not just won a championship, but been a big part of one," Griffin said. "He knows what it takes to win. You just want to listen to the message."

The message now: Take a quick breath. The team was given Friday off. The pushing and prodding and cajoling will resume in a few days.

"Last year we went into the playoffs winning 16 of 18 and lost the first two games," Cuban said. "The year we lost in the first round to Sacramento, we had just won six straight [eight of final 10] and thought we got lucky by getting Sacramento. They won four of five.

"There is no template."

Back in action: Point guard Devin Harris played nearly 7 ½ minutes in Thursday night's loss to Phoenix. It was the first time he stepped onto the court for a game since aggravating an already strained left quadriceps March 11.

"The first trial was successful," said Harris, who had two points and one assist and moved well. "It was good to get out there, get my legs under me a little bit. I didn't get as fatigued as I thought I would. That explosion to the basket – I've got to get that."

Johnson will increase Harris' minutes over the final two games with the hope he can give the team 18-plus minutes in the playoffs.

Back in action II: Griffin also saw extended action for the first time since his return on Monday. He grabbed seven rebounds and blocked a shot in 20 minutes.

"There is no substitute for getting out there and moving your feet, getting down and gritty," said Griffin, who was out with a strained right hamstring. "That's the only thing you can do to get better."

Last edited by kriD; 04-15-2006 at 04:57 AM.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote