View Single Post
Old 04-15-2006, 03:49 PM   #19
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
That is one of the oddest things I have ever seen on this board. You don't think Michael Jordan made his team mates better? You don't think Scottie Pippen made a career of playing alongside Jordan, which took him from a very nice player to a top 50 of all time?

NBA superstars, that are successful, make other players around them more successful. Josh Howard is better for playing next to Dirk. Freaking Tim Thomas has been playing good basketball since joining the Suns, etc etc.
Not sure if you understand what i'm saying. I stated that yes playing alongside Jordan made life for Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman easy but like spiral went into, these players were great players because of themselves. Not because of MJ. Is Bruce Bowen one of the greatest defenders in the game because of Tim Duncan or is it because of Bruce Bowen? Yes, Bowen gets that open corner 3 point shot from time to time due to playing alongside Duncan but its not what makes Bowen a great player. That whole "makes his teammates batter" argument for MVP is bogus. It shouldn't even be brought up IMO because no one really makes a player better. It takes talent and hard work. Dirk can't make a bum off the street look any better than Steve Nash could.

Its frustrating because this is the argument I hear people bring up when it comes to Dirk beign a valid MVP candidate. Because he doesn't make his teammates look better than they really are he's not really a candidate. I think its bs. There's not really a MVP out there who makes his teammate any better than they currently are. I don't think finding your teammate for a open 3 fits the description of making your teammate better.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote