View Single Post
Old 04-16-2006, 12:42 PM   #10
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

This has been posted elsewhere, but Stan McNeal of The Sporting News (Linkage):

David Moore - 10
Stan McNeal - 10

Total - 20

Quote:
McNeal's SportingBlog
Nowitzki gets my MVP vote, for now
April 5, 2006

With only a couple of weeks left in the season, the MVP race looks as wide open as it was on opening night. I'm guessing this will be the closest balloting ever, with at least six legitmate candidates receiving at least one first-place vote.

In order of my preference (subject to change, of course):

1. Dirk Nowitzki: The Mavs will be one of three teams to finish with 60 or more wins, and Dirk is much more of a one-man show than anyone on the Spurs or Pistons.

2. LeBron James: If the Cavs get to 50 wins, I might have to change my pick. Perhaps this is the better question: Will LeBron challenge Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's record of winning six MVPs?

3. Steve Nash: If the Suns surge to the finish, Nash has a great chance of repeating. I've talked to more than a dozen assistants, scouts and writers for an MVP story we're doing in the magazine next week, and Nash has received the most support --- but it's very close. Side note: Only 10 players ever have won MVP in back-to-back seasons, and the only two not in the Hall of Fame will be: Michael Jordan and Tim Duncan. Amazing to think the floppy-haired Canadian is so close to joining such elite company.

4. Chauncey Billups: Sorry, too much help.

5. Dwyane Wade: A year ago, the MVP debate was Nash or Shaq. Wade has put an end to that but still, he still has Shaq to help out.

6. Kobe Bryant: I would give him the same chance as LeBron if the Lakers could win 50. But with 40 wins and only seven games to play, my calculator tells me 50 isn't going to happen.
EDIT: There's a new article up (as of 4/11) where he analyzes the MVP race but doesn't mention if he changes his vote or not.

Last edited by orangedays; 04-16-2006 at 12:46 PM.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote