View Single Post
Old 04-29-2006, 02:45 AM   #137
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, sure that's possible. But of course, if there was no Steve Nash, there would be no system. Personally, I think there are a lot of super-athletic guys in the NBA who don't get to let their talents show. That's really the main reason I love Nash: He's a guy who, if he's on your team, let's the rest of the team's athleticism show.
Of course there are a lot of super athletic guys but with very few exceptions, they’re not as skilled as Marion.

I also don’t agree that the system doesn’t exist without Nash. Plenty of PG's could run that system. Not as well but they could do it. It's probably one of the easier systems to play in if you have the shooters.

Quote:
Oh, I'm about sick and tired of this simpleton's warped logic argument. Honestly, I've heard it so many times that by now it makes it makes me sick. And I expected you to see through it. It goes like this: Did the team get better by replacing Walker with Dampier? Yes, it did. A lot. Did the team get better by replacing Nash with Terry/Harris? No, it did not. It got worse. A lot. Did the sum of all the moves, the aforementioned and others, make the team better? Evidently it did, if you go by games won. But still note that it put them behind where the franchise was two years before.
I edited my point because I knew how you were going to attack it.

The only thing that’s really germane to this conversation is how the offense performed because like I said, some of the factors that led to the teams improvement had nothing to do with the PG position.

The bottom line is this: we replaced Nash with a PG who could shoot just as well (debatable I know) and who couldn’t make plays. While we lost a little offensive efficiency we still remain in the top five. We were 2nd in the league in offensive efficiency this year. Maybe we weren’t fully utilizing his talents because our offense is just fine without Nash.

I have no idea where you get off saying that the team got a lot worse by replacing Nash with Terry/Harris. How do you even begin to back that up unless you think a lot more of Damp that you’ve let on.

Quote:
As you yourself said, Diaw is a young kid with tons of upside. Honestly, I I expect that Marion-level is underestimating him. But I'll be glad to concede this point if you like. It makes no difference. Marion is a Sun and is going to be a Sun for quite a while.
His upside has more to do with his skills then the ability to rebound and block shots.

Quote:
He's NOWHERE NEAR "just as essential" as Nash is, for the simple reason that he needs someone to get him the ball.

If you believe that, then you severely overestimate the quality of average point guard play n this league.
And Nash needs somebody to get the ball to. He ahlso benefits from somebody that can make the other team go small…Marion is a big part of that because he kills most 4's offensively.

But forget about the ball for a minute. If you’re going to play 6’9 Boris Diaw at center, you have to have someone to rebound, block shots and defend and you don’t want it to be Pat Burke. Marion allows them to play that offensive lineup with success because he’s doing things that are normally reserved for big slow guys. Nash is essential but so is the Matrix.

You underrate that guy.

Last edited by dirno2000; 04-29-2006 at 02:52 AM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote