View Single Post
Old 05-10-2006, 12:21 PM   #15
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

PLAYOFF NOTES

When Howard holds up his end, Mavs are 21-0

By MERCEDES MAYER
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

SAN ANTONIO -- Even Josh Howard is baffled by the numbers.

After beating the San Antonio Spurs 113-91 in Game 2, the Mavericks are 21-0 in the regular season and postseason combined when Howard scores 20 or more points.

"I have no explanation for it," Howard said.

The Mavs had to feel pretty good when Howard had 18 points -- and a 58-38 lead -- at halftime.

Less than two minutes into the third quarter, Howard made two free throws to reach 20 points.

"Whatever I get that's open, I'm going to take it," said Howard, who finished with 27 points and nine rebounds. "Whenever my teammates find me, I try to knock down those shots."

In Game 1, Howard had 14 points at the half but attempted only four shots in the second half, finishing with 17 points and nine rebounds.

Tempers flare

First, it was Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and Mavs counterpart Avery Johnson. Then it was former Mavs and current Spurs guard Nick Van Exel. This series is pure emotion.

Popovich and Johnson were called for technical fouls in the first four minutes of the game.

Van Exel was whistled for a technical foul for arguing with an official midway through the second quarter. Soon after that, he was upset about not getting a call on a 3-pointer he missed. Van Exel threw his warm-ups toward the basket when he went to the bench, getting his second technical foul, and an automatic ejection.

By the middle of the third quarter, Spurs fans let Game 2 crew chief Steve Javie know how they felt, yelling "Javie Sucks" in unison.

The rash of technicals brought back memories of Game 2 of the Mavs-Spurs 2003 Western Conference Finals, when four technical fouls were called in the first 10:11. Then-Mavs coach Don Nelson was ejected along with assistant coach Del Harris in a 119-106 Spurs victory. The Mavs' Dirk Nowitzki and Van Exel also had technicals.

Nellie to Kings?

Don Nelson's name quickly surfaced as one of the candidates to replace Rick Adelman as coach of the Sacramento Kings. Adelman and his staff were fired Tuesday.

Nelson stepped aside as coach of the Mavericks with 18 games remaining in the 2004-05 season but has remained as a team consultant. The Mavs still paid Nelson the $5 million he had remaining on the coaching portion of his contract for this season.

Mavs owner Mark Cuban said Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof don't necessarily have to contact him to get permission to talk to Nelson about their coaching vacancy.

"Once the season's over, Nellie is a free agent and he can do whatever he wants," Cuban said. "I'm sure, if they want to talk to him, they would call me anyway, knowing the Maloofs."

Donnie Nelson, the Mavs' president of basketball operations and Nelson's son, would not speculate on whether his father wants to coach again.

"Happiness is different to different people," Donnie Nelson said. "I just want him to be happy."

Van Horn's progress

Avery Johnson's hopes that Keith Van Horn (broken hand) can return by Game 3 are fading.

Van Horn said X-rays will be taken today to monitor the healing process. If the news is good, Van Horn will start noncontact drills Friday and, hopefully, begin contact drills next week. That all but keeps him out of Games 3 (Saturday) and 4 (Monday) in Dallas.

Seed restructuring

Commissioner David Stern said the NBA will "probably" restructure the playoff seeding process next season by taking the top four teams in each conference and seeding them according to their won-loss record. That would prevent a repeat of this year when the two winningest teams in the Western Conference -- the top-seeded Spurs and fourth-seeded Mavericks -- met in the second round.

Popovich having fun

Gregg Popovich had some fun with the media during Tuesday morning's shootaround.

When asked his take on the long break between Games 2 and 3 of this series -- Game 3 isn't until Saturday in Dallas -- Popovich said: "I have no take. Having a take only takes away concentration. So the take is not taken seriously."

Staff writers Dwain Price and Jeff Caplan contributed to this report.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote