View Single Post
Old 05-20-2006, 05:00 AM   #88
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Finley's 'act' turns off Cuban

By DWAIN PRICE
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS - Contrary to popular opinion, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban and former Mavs All-Star player Michael Finley are not at odds with each other.

Yes, Cuban offered Finley's family the opportunity to sit in his American Airlines Center suite to watch the three Western Conference semifinal games between the Mavs and the San Antonio Spurs. However, Finley refused to take Cuban up on his offer.

Finley is still hurt over the events of last summer when Cuban used the NBA's new amnesty rule to waive the Mavs' former go-to guy. But he was all smiles Friday after the Spurs evened the best-of-seven series against the Mavs at 3-3 with a 91-86 victory.

Game 7 is Monday night in San Antonio with Cuban again trying to get the best of Finley.

"I like Mike," Cuban said. "I offered him the use of my suite to put his family in there with my family.

"I have a lot of respect for Michael Finley. I just don't have respect for his acting ability."

It's Finley's "acting ability" that has Cuban and Mavs fans riled. Cuban believes the "punch" Mavs guard Jason Terry hit Finley with didn't warrant a one-game suspension from the NBA.

The controversy, which forced Terry to sit out Game 6 on Friday, put Finley in the middle of a firestorm. During Friday's pregame introduction, Finley was booed louder than any Spur, but that didn't affect his performance.

Finley finished with 16 points, six rebounds and two steals in 45 minutes. He was 6-of-10 from the field.

"I'm thrilled for Michael," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He's such a class act, no matter what the circumstances or what's going on in the game.

"He's been one of our leaders. He comes in a tough situation for him and in a place where he was a leader for so long, without malice. He comes in and competes with class. I couldn't be more proud of him."

Cuban said Finley faked the impact of the "punch" from Terry.

"Every action film's got a villain, and Mike plays one on TV," Cuban said. "When he was here, there were many times when he'd bait a guy into doing something so he can try to get a technical.

"When it's your team, it's a crafty veteran move, and when it's the other team, it's a plot. It's not personal."

Asked if there was any bad blood between him and Finley, Cuban said: "Not on my end at all. Do I still want everybody in the arena to boo him? Yeah.

"And when they see him walking down the street I hope they shake his hand."
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote