View Single Post
Old 05-21-2006, 02:55 PM   #120
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shot Rob
I have huge respect for AJ.

But the last comment is disturbing.

Even though Pop is a crusty old Air Force guy, he had to change with the times. He used to make Sean Elliott's life totally miserable. He did so also with Tony Parker. But with Manu--even though he gave Pop heart attacks the first year, even Pop stated that he had to change his tactics because with Manu, you take the good with the bad.

To me, that indicates that a great coach will have to treat his players as individuals--what works to motivate one may not work with another.

For whatever reason, Pop and Finley have forged a very close bond. Earlier in the year you could tell that Fin was struggling to learn the system. Pop was patient and did not overload Finley. Apparently his strategy works and if the Spurs prevail against the Mavs, you could argue that it is only because Finley led the way with a huge game 6.

AJ is still having to learn a few things is what I am getting at. I can understand the financial reasons--if you waive a man because you are going to fave several millions of dollars, that is understandable. But if a man like Finley who had great years with the Mavs had some problems with his rookie coach, that is something else.

As much as I love seeing Finley in San Antoinio, I hate to see the anguish in the man. As he says, he did not ask to be cut.

All in all--Aj still has some growing as a coach. But you guys have a jewel in AJ. He will definitely bring an NBA crown to Dallas, if not this year, then sometime very soon.
Barf. Look, Finley is due for a horrendous game. He can't string many good games in a row without a terrible game. That is just Finley. Here,in Dallas, he wouldn't play the reserve role. In SA, Finley can get yanked when he hits the back rim 8 or 9 times in a row.

You Spurs fans are completely arrogant. The only reason you ever win anything is because you have Tim Duncan. Don't think that Pop is some great coach or the Spurs franchise is something special. It just isn't. You won the lottery in a year when Duncan was sitting there. That's all there is to your "special" franchise.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote