View Single Post
Old 06-03-2006, 12:55 AM   #1014
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default Bill Simmons: On D'Antoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
D'Antoni has now become a source of amusement for me during the games. When he wants the attention of a ref, he just repeats the guy's name -- over and over and over again.

As for delay of game warnings, D'Antoni has little right to complain about that. He wasn't complaining last year when Quentin Richardson would repeatedly "deaden" the ball to prevent the Mavs from inbounding quickly.
Quote:
Question No. 11: In the history of organized sports, has a coach or manager ever done a better job of reacting to a bad call than Mike D'Antoni?

No way. Nobody works themselves into a foot-stomping, squinting, aghast frenzy like the Suns coach, who hasn't been this convincing since he was promising Maverick, "And if you can't find anyone, gimme a call, I'll fly with you" right before the final battle scene in "Top Gun." But every time he flipped out, I kept getting d j vu ... where else had I seen that stamping routine before?
Fortunately, Kansas City reader Daniel Warren was able to fill in the blanks: "Seeing D'Antoni react to the botched shot-clock violation in Game 3 made me stop short. Where had I seen a mustachioed man stomp around and frown so abruptly in response to an unfavorable decision? It took a while, but my buddy Andrew and I finally realized that a pissed-off Mike D'Antoni turns into Channel 4's Ron Burgundy when Veronica Corningstone is named co-anchor."

Perfect! Now D'Antoni's tantrums are twice as enjoyable because you can pepper them with jokes like, "Hey Bavetta, why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island!"

(One more classic D'Antoni maneuver: Whenever an opponent is shooting a free throw on the side near Phoenix's bench, he always pretends to be complaining about the call, only he plants himself in the corner of the shooter's eye and deliberately wanders back and forth right as the guy is shooting. Utterly devious. That's a team of floppers, cheaters and guys who push off every time they drive to the basket; they're about four more flops away from being eligible for the 2006 World Cup. How does Ginobili not play for these guys? It must kill him. All right, I'm babbling ...)
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...6/sunsmavsgm5/

Check Picutre 16.

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 06-03-2006 at 12:58 AM.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote