View Single Post
Old 06-25-2006, 08:49 AM   #21
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter Einstein
I hate this plan. Its well thought out and has lots of ideas, but to me it really makes the team much worse.
Thank you Poin. I love when someone actually takes the time to disagree with reasoning, instead of just "that sucks - my opinion is better than yours". Now, I'll take it part by part and address my thinking everywhere.

Quote:
It downgrades the Mavs at center when they could actually use a bit of an upgrade. If you cant get better at center, you sure dont want to get worse. Thats a very vital position for Dallas, with Dirk at PF.
I am not sure it is a downgrade at Center. It very well could be, but whether it is or not totally depends upon how much DJ and PPod develop. I must agree that they need to get better at Center, but do you think Damp will improve the team more than say 8/8 next year? I am not trying to downplay 8/8 because that is good for an average defensive minded center in the NBA. I just think that DJ is much more athletic, as strong, quicker, better leaping ability, and has better form on his shots. I think he is much more of an offensive threat, and although not as good defensively, could be better due to his size and strength.

Quote:
And what do you get for your downgrade? A backup player. Not a starter. Just someone to fill in a few minutes behind Dirk, to replace KVH. Wow we have a great player who sits on the bench. Yuck. Will he play at the 3? Nope, you already got Lewis and Jho both.
Yes, but Battier is a backup SF and PF. He would make the 9 man rotation, and would allow for Dirk to play C against lots of teams, including SA, when he would have Duncan, and the Mavs would go small -- just as they did in this years playoffs. The NBA is getting more and more away from the Big Brusing Centers because of the hand-check rules on the perimeter. If the backcourt can't stop ANY player from driving by putting a hand on them, because if they get in front of them, it is a blocking foul, then you have to have a quick off-side blocker in the game to deny the rim. If not, then every team with a SG or SF or PG that can drive, can always get to the rim. This was always Bradley's problem -- he got there to late.

Quote:
In reality, this ends up being a team with a whole pile of SF types. Jho. Lewis. Battier. You are trying to use them at SG and at PF, but in essence you are playing them out of position just to get them on the floor. That lessens their natural skill advantages.
Why is JHo a SF instead of a SG? With the offense that Dallas has been running, the swingmen have basically utilized the same roles. JHo is often times defending the other teams best offensive threat. What is the difference in JHo/Stack and say JHo/Lewis? I think JHo/Lewis would be better on both the offensive and defensive ends while playing the swingmen positions.

Quote:
There is a huge hole at SG, with Terry the best solution the Mavs had this year. In this plan, it gets even worse. Bobby Jax is done. JHo is not a 2. Neither is Lewis. Daniels and Marshall are gone, which removes them as options.
Why is JHo not a SG? He usually guards TMac, Carter, lots of time on DWade, Lebron, Ginobili, and Kobe. He plays one of the swing positions on offense. How is he not a SG? His height is consistent at 6'6" for many SG. He is a slasher with some inside moves. I just don't understand how you say he is not a SG. As far as Bobby Jax, I still think he would be a great 12th man that comes in off the bench as a shooter, and zone buster. Dallas needed a player with his skillset badly at times this year.

Quote:
You wind up with depth all over the place, at postions you already have covered. But you can only play 5 players at a time, and you weakened 2 positons just to get deeper.
Weakened? That only depends on whether DJ and PPod develop into what Damp does or not. PG could be weakened, I guess, but I think Devin and Watson would be better defensively, and could possibly better offensively if Devin develops into the player that many think he can be. You strengthened the SG position by default. You further strengthened the SF position. You got stronger and more athletic across the board. You added some tough defenders in Battier and Watson that you could really use. I have to believe that Lewis/Howard in general would be one of the best swingmen defense in the league with their abilities.

Quote:
The result is a very unbalanced roster. Skinny raw centers. Superstar PF. A slew of PFs that all should play, but who knows where. Weaker than ever at SG. PG nothing special.

Sorry but this just kills the team imo.
A slew of PF that all should play??? NO. A slew of forwards that should get some time, yes. At forward you would have Dirk, Lewis, Battier, and Powell. Griff, Stack, Howard can be classified as SG. Yes, Griff, Stack, Howard could play SF, but all are really just swingmen that can fill either role.

I respect your thought that it kills the team, thanks. I hope I have shown where it wouldn't weaken the team, it would have the probability of strengthening it significantly.

I do totally agree that an upgrade at Center, and a major upgrade at shooting guard would work just as easily to improve the team dramatically. I just don't see that upgrade available. Everyone wants to upgrade at Center save about 3-4 teams. Some are even starting to change how they do things, like San Antonio. They will move Duncan back to Center and find a player that is an athletic 4, who can be the last line of defence. They will be back to awesome again then, and looking for another title.

The game is changing, and hopefully Dallas will get ahead of the curve, instead of getting behind.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote