View Single Post
Old 07-30-2006, 05:55 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default [Ager] The perfect fit

The perfect fit

Rookie has impressed Mavs coaches with his skills and knowledge

By Art Garcia
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

SALT LAKE CITY -- Streaking down the sideline, the ball came his way and Mavericks rookie Maurice Ager knew exactly what to do.

A couple of smooth dribbles, a couple of perfectly timed steps and he was off. It didn't matter that Andre Brown, a 6-foot-9, 230-pound power forward on the Spurs' summer league team, was between Ager and the rim.

The ball was going through. Hard.

After the slam that brought the crowd at the Salt Lake Community College Center to its feet, eliciting the kinds of oohs and ahs normally reserved for Kobe or McGrady or Wade, the brash rookie didn't dance.

No fist pump. No primal scream. No shimmy.

Sure, his teammates made plenty of noise from the bench, blending in with the spontaneous chorus of "Did you see that?" Ager simply got up, and almost in a what-did-you-expect fashion, walked to the line and nailed his free throw.

"Someday," Ager said simply and without pretense, "I want to be one of the great two-guards in the league."

Someday may or may not be a long way away, but Ager is determined to get there. The 28th pick in last month's NBA Draft is saying all the right things and, just weeks into his pro career, doing all the right things.

Mavs coaches were impressed with his work ethic and ability to pick up new concepts, but not surprised. A four-year career at collegiate power Michigan State under coach Tom Izzo prepared the Detroit native for whatever life would throw his way.

"There are things he's got to learn," said assistant Joe Prunty, the Mavs' summer league coach at the Rocky Mountain Revue. "He's very coachable and knowledgeable about the game. Now he needs to learn the NBA game.

"Know when to take shots. Know when not to take shots. How to chase on the screens. How to guard the pick-and-roll. We have been pleased with what we've seen. We need to see more. We also know we need to teach more."

Ager, 22, does fit the bill. He's 6-5, slightly more than 200 pounds, and has a definite air of confidence. Though his first two years in college were cut short by injury and the last two were disappointing to Spartans fans expecting a national championship, Ager developed into an influential team leader.

The demanding Izzo changed the Sunday practice schedule so Ager could attend church. Ager doesn't claim to be a choirboy. Poor citizenship kept him out of basketball just as he was getting good, though he was never much more than a class clown.

Mattie Ager, a single mother also raising two daughters, straightened Mo out. He hasn't strayed much since.

"My mom was tough on me, but I had a good childhood," he said. "I can't complain.

"That's why this is the perfect place for me. I come from a place where things aren't handed to you. That will help me in the long run."

Ager has already received a crash course in Avery Johnson, who checked in on summer league and ran a few practices during his visit. The General didn't need much time to leave an impression.

"He tells me things I need to work on and, of course, he's going to hit on a lot of negatives," Ager said of his new coach. "He's not going to tell me what I'm doing well. At the same time I know what I'm doing well. I appreciate the fact he's honest with me."

Ager put on a show at times in summer league. His talents were more evident on the offensive end in a setting that often disintegrates into one-on-one play.

In addition to his explosiveness and willingness to attack, Ager owns a deft outside touch and ability to square up to the basket. He's comfortable pulling up and shooting a 3-pointer in rhythm or spinning across the lane for a 15-footer.

"He's always been a good player," said former Mavs forward Rawle Marshall, who's also from Detroit and has known Ager since high school. "It's no coincidence he's here. He can do some things teams like."

Ager once compared himself to Seattle sharpshooter Ray Allen, while Izzo likened him to former Michigan State standout Jason Richardson. He's not either, yet, but if Ager eventually falls somewhere in the middle, he'll be a draft steal rivaling Josh Howard from three years ago.

The Mavs didn't work out Howard in 2003, thinking there was no way the Wake Forest star and ACC Player of the Year would fall to the end of the first round. Same story with Ager, who proved his mettle in the equally rugged Big Ten.

"I didn't think I would drop all the way to 28," Ager said. "It was very surprising. At the same time, I'm thankful to be here.

"Who's to say those teams that passed me are ones I would want to be with? I would rather go to a better team where I have an opportunity to be a great player versus go somewhere where the team is not as good and doesn't make the playoffs."

Ager watched the NBA Finals and made a couple of observations very familiar in North Texas.

"Dwyane Wade, flat out, they couldn't stop him," Ager said before reversing field. "The refs, of course, were bad. We just need to take care of business. Next year, hopefully, we can get over the hump.

"Hopefully, I can be that kind of player. Right now, I'm not going to say I can stop Dwyane Wade, but I can tell you I'll try my hardest. I won't mind being a stopper for this team."

Ager's ceiling and skill set made parting with three-year veteran guard Marquis Daniels that much easier. Greg Buckner is expected to start alongside point guard Jason Terry in the backcourt, though Ager isn't selling himself short.

The Mavs don't want him to.

"This is the start of his NBA career," Prunty said. "He can start formulating the groundwork of what he envisions his NBA career to be."

Ager is being counted on to contribute this season. That could be 10 minutes per game. It could be 20. There will be struggles along with the flashes.

Asked if he thinks about starting, Ager doesn't hesitate.

"Every day," he said. "I want to get on the floor defensively, so I want to pick up the pace as fast as I can and compete. We've got Jerry Stackhouse and Buck, but honestly the two-guard spot is wide open.

"I want to start. Of course I do. But I've got to prepare for the worst just like the best. As long as I'm working and producing, the rest is up to the coaching staff."

"Who's to say those teams that passed me are ones I would want to be with? I would rather go to a better team where I have an opportunity to be a great player vs. go somewhere where the team is not as good and doesn't make the playoffs."
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote