View Single Post
Old 08-02-2006, 12:59 PM   #51
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
Well if you watched last year and don't expect a 180 from Pettiti in the off season then there damn sure is a concern about the line if he starts all 16 again. Yeah, I know we were OK with him in there last year while Flozell was playing and he is back, but who knows at what percentage. I think Fabini starts and Pettiti ends up starting by seasons end. I know if Pettiti wins the job I won't be too excited about the right side of our line, (though I hear Rivera is playing much better this offseason).

Pettiti was terrible last year, (and his ratings showed that), and I can't expect him to go from a average at best rookie to an all-pro overnight. He will be a liability no matter how you slice it.
The thing is, you can hide one tackle by chipping with a TE before releasing or rolling out or having a back stay in or any number of other things. You cant protect both. Thats why losing Flozell hurt so much. We went from one bad tackle to two bad tackles. No way to protect both. Also, in pass protection is where i think we are gonna really miss larry allen. THe fact of the matter is there isnt a single person in the nfl who could bull rush him and as a guard in close quarters, that is a huge advantage. For one, if someone can bull rush you, they dont actually have to beat you to cause havoc. They can just collapse the pocket. Allen was great at staying near the line. As for pettiti, i think he did as well as anyone could have hoped last year but there was a reason he was a 6th round pick. I think he can develop into a great backup but imo he isnt a starter on a great team. This OLine scares me alot. Outside of Adams if hes healthy, there isnt a single olineman that I am certain will even be average and thats terrible. Not to mention that we dont know how well adams has healed.

The one good thing is that TO not the two te sets should help the oline more than anything. Its much harder to call a blitz when the opposing team has someone who can go 80 if you dont get there and TO is that guy. There isnt anyone in the nfl that can cover him one on one and its hard to blitz without leaving receivers in one on one which means that the boys shouldnt see that many blitzes which is the hardest part of pass protection.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote