View Single Post
Old 08-03-2006, 03:48 PM   #33
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Stack,

Your article was solid for a 14-year-old without training but there are some things you may want to keep an eye out for. Just to name a few:

1) Show me don't tell me. When an author presents an idea to a reader he/she must remember to keep the reading audience in mind. For example, don't "say" someone had a good training camp, "show" they had a good camp through providing statistics and comparing those stats to how other players faired. To work on this you should try picking out a random object around the house and writing a five line description about. Then, one at a time, read each line to someone and let them try to figure out what it is. The less lines it takes for them to guess what it is, the better you're doing.

Also, remember that objectivity is the key to a successful journalist. I understand you may be very excited about this team (we all are), but it is important to see things from an unattached perspective when writing an article. An example of this, as Erica pointed out, is when you mentioned Croshere as having an explosive first step. These could be costly errors when trying to gain readership in the future.

Also, try to avoid using excessive amounts of adjectives. ("extremely" and "excellent" come to mind among others. Also, watch out for comma splices and keep up the hard work. Sports journalism is a competitive field and there will always be someone more talented than you are, but no one can deny the effort of a hard worker.

Keep working at it, and if you would like some more tips then feel free to PM me.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki

Last edited by Dirkenstien; 08-03-2006 at 03:50 PM.
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote