View Single Post
Old 08-06-2006, 12:02 AM   #65
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41
I'm sure people a lot of people didn't like the Bale choice as Batman in the first film either...
As sike and GMC already said, those people are idiots. I was ecstatic when I found out he was the new Batman.

Quote:
but Nolan is an amazing director so you obligated to have a little faith in his decision since the first film was a hit. Ledger must have shown him something in audition that he thought he could use for the darker side of Joker which im excited for.
Nolan is one of my favorite directors. Insomnia and Memento, as well as Batman Begins are some of my all-time favorite movies. It's my trust and confidence in Nolan, and nothing else, that gives me at least some assurance that it'll be okay. However, considering that he previously made it clear that he wasn't even considering anyone else but Lachy Hulme and Paul Bettany, I can't help but get the impression that Nolan didn't really want Ledger, and was pressured by the studio into going with the bigger name. Just speculation.

Quote:
I hated Nicholson as Joker btw... just had to get that out. He was fat, way too old, and looked terrible in the makeup, plus the whole over the top thing wasn't for me.
Dude, you're nuts. Seriously, Nicholson's performance was one of the best of his truly legendary career. To this day I think it's a crime that he wasn't at least nominated for best supporting actor. Yeah he was a little old, but the whole "over the top thing"??? You mean, the friggin character? Son, have you ever read a Batman comic? The Joker is the very definition of "over the top." That's his schtick. I mean c'mon, he's a homicidal clown for god's sake. As a DIE-HARD fan of the character, I'd be very pissed off to see any watered-down, domesticated depiction of the Joker. Read Alan Moore's "The Killing Joke" and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
I think Ledger is closer at least physically to what Joker should be and as an actor i'm so-so about whether I think he can really pull off a true Joker persona but despite his acting range he will be the best Joker we have seen to date guaranteed.
Maybe he's closer physically to the classic Joker than Nicholson, but if we're just going on appearance here, as I said before, I thought Hulme would've been a much much better choice than Ledger. The idea that he was the one Nolan originally wanted just gives merit to my doubts about Ledger's ability to pull it off.

I have faith in Nolan, and I want this movie to be great, so of course I'll give Ledger a fair shake. But I will say that of all the characters that have been cast so far in this franchise, Ledger is the first and only one that I've doubted even a little. I knew Bale was the perfect Bruce Wayne/Batman. I knew Gary Oldman was the perfect Jim Gordon. I knew Morgan Freeman was the perfect Lucious Fox. I knew Michael Caine was the perfect Alfred and so on... Ledger? At this point I'm just hoping he won't completely f*ck it up. The fact that the character in question isn't just any villain of the week, but one of the greatest comic/movie villains ever, and my personal all-time favorite just makes the stakes that much higher.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 08-06-2006 at 12:11 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote