View Single Post
Old 08-10-2006, 07:19 PM   #82
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
As sike and GMC already said, those people are idiots. I was ecstatic when I found out he was the new Batman.

Nolan is one of my favorite directors. Insomnia and Memento, as well as Batman Begins are some of my all-time favorite movies. It's my trust and confidence in Nolan, and nothing else, that gives me at least some assurance that it'll be okay. However, considering that he previously made it clear that he wasn't even considering anyone else but Lachy Hulme and Paul Bettany, I can't help but get the impression that Nolan didn't really want Ledger, and was pressured by the studio into going with the bigger name. Just speculation.

Dude, you're nuts. Seriously, Nicholson's performance was one of the best of his truly legendary career. To this day I think it's a crime that he wasn't at least nominated for best supporting actor. Yeah he was a little old, but the whole "over the top thing"??? You mean, the friggin character? Son, have you ever read a Batman comic? The Joker is the very definition of "over the top." That's his schtick. I mean c'mon, he's a homicidal clown for god's sake. As a DIE-HARD fan of the character, I'd be very pissed off to see any watered-down, domesticated depiction of the Joker. Read Alan Moore's "The Killing Joke" and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Maybe he's closer physically to the classic Joker than Nicholson, but if we're just going on appearance here, as I said before, I thought Hulme would've been a much much better choice than Ledger. The idea that he was the one Nolan originally wanted just gives merit to my doubts about Ledger's ability to pull it off.

I have faith in Nolan, and I want this movie to be great, so of course I'll give Ledger a fair shake. But I will say that of all the characters that have been cast so far in this franchise, Ledger is the first and only one that I've doubted even a little. I knew Bale was the perfect Bruce Wayne/Batman. I knew Gary Oldman was the perfect Jim Gordon. I knew Morgan Freeman was the perfect Lucious Fox. I knew Michael Caine was the perfect Alfred and so on... Ledger? At this point I'm just hoping he won't completely f*ck it up. The fact that the character in question isn't just any villain of the week, but one of the greatest comic/movie villains ever, and my personal all-time favorite just makes the stakes that much higher.
I believe Nicholson is a good actor but theres only so much good acting skills can do without good casting, he just didn't have me believing in him even at my young age ast the time (like I said mostly physically, he could have shed the pounds). I was content with the 'campy' light purple suit, the green hair, and the long light blue tie because thats all classic comic style while adding to the creepy makeup job but in short it didn't make me think he was crazy or badass it just kind of creeped me out when presented in the movie. He didnt do anything particularly dark for a main villain in a movie or franchise and in short it could have just been a bad plot but I believe Jack was bad casting as well. I was really young so at the time I didn't care enough to criticize anyway but now that I think of it I think they just wanted big names back then too with the old films. I mean Jack, Devito, Carey, .... Schwarzaneggar as Mr. Freeze!? I think we can all agree Schumacher shouldn't be allowed to do anything remotely related to Batman again.

I didn't know that Heath wasn't Nolans first choice, I truly hope the studio doesnt force anything on him. It should be the directors artistic freedom that helps make the movie truly great. I don't know what fans of the comics have against the idea of changing certain characteristics of a plot or character, maybe as a fan you can enlighten me. If it will help the directors vision than why not? There are millions of fans but one person who makes it happen and as a director you need to understand that you can't please everyone. As a blockbuster movie sequel it should be noted that this movie should be about more than just fans of the comics. I see this Joker in a darker purple coat, more dramatic makeup, a few more maniacal outbreaks, etc. Personally I think this Joker should be very sick and twisted (I mean.. darker, thats what this new franchise is all about), not suitable for young children because he truly is one of the most evil characters in comics. Maybe something along the lines of "A death in the family" storyline with Rachel Dawes taking the place of Jason Todd (Robin) since he won't be added to this franchise anytime soon and Rachels character is not needed in the films anymore.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote