View Single Post
Old 08-15-2006, 07:11 AM   #52
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Simmons expects to go despite being hobbled

By CHARLES F. GARDNER [/ Journal Sentinel]
Posted: April 25, 2006

St. Francis - Bobby Simmons would love to be totally healthy for Game 2 of the Milwaukee Bucks' playoff series tonight at The Palace of Auburn Hills.

But the team's 6-foot-6 forward has been nursing an unspecified lower leg injury and has missed most of the Bucks' on-court work during their last three practice sessions.

Still, he made his playoff debut in Game 1 against the Detroit Pistons on Sunday, scoring six points and grabbing six rebounds in 33 minutes in the Bucks' 92-74 loss.

"It's just the little knick-knack things you go through in the course of a season," Simmons said after the Bucks' practice session at the Cousins Center on Tuesday. "It's being prepared to play the game and doing what I can out here in practice.

Did it set you back?

"Well no, I wouldn't say it set me back. It's all about timing and rhythm. But I got a few shots up today. I didn't do a whole lot, but I did enough to keep myself warm."
(...)
A coveted free agent who signed a five-year, $47 million contract with the Bucks last summer, Simmons has experienced a few highs and lows in his first season in Milwaukee.

He averaged 13.4 points and 4.4 rebounds in 75 games with the Bucks, one year after averaging 16.4 points and 5.9 rebounds with the Los Angeles Clippers as he was named the National Basketball Association's most improved player.

"It's a little discouraging, but he's a fighter," Bucks guard Michael Redd said of Simmons' injury woes. "He'll play."

Simmons, the Chicago native and former DePaul star, played two seasons with the Washington Wizards and two with the Clippers. He had never experienced a playoff game until Sunday night at the Palace.

"It was very exciting," said Simmons, who was 2 for 8 from the field, including 2 for 4 on three-pointers. "A lot of shots that I normally make, I missed. But the atmosphere of the playoffs is unbelievable."

Simmons is matched against 6-9 Pistons forward Tayshaun Prince, who had 15 points, eight rebounds and three assists in 41 minutes in the series opener.

"You just have to play the best defense you can," Simmons said. "I wouldn't say he's a great player, but he's good for their team. He does a lot for their team, making plays for them."
(...)
"Everybody is a little banged up," Bucks coach Terry Stotts said. "He (Simmons) is still getting his shots, but he's staying away from contact and doesn't want to do too much to aggravate it.

"He'll be ready for game time tomorrow, just like he was on Sunday."
(...)
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote