View Single Post
Old 08-22-2006, 05:32 PM   #112
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default Nobody ever posted this...

Boys basketball: A study in Perseverance
Ryan’s Walkup has overcome family tragedy

08:35 AM CST on Tuesday, January 24, 2006
By Chuck Cox / Staff Writer

Standing at just 6-1, Ryan junior forward Ryan Walkup personifies perseverance when he steps onto the basketball court.

Ryan Walkup
In his first year as a varsity starter for the Raiders, he is routinely asked to guard taller players and regularly holds his own when doing so.

“He plays with the cards he was dealt,” Ryan head coach Bryce Overstreet said. “He’s not very tall, so, in turn, the only way for him to gain an advantage is through hard work and his quickness. He has got very good footwork and is just an undersized big man. If he’s 6-5 or 6-6, he may be a Division I basketball player.”

But the battles Walkup wages on the hardwood don’t compare to one he faced off the court before his first year of high school was even in the books. Walkup’s father, Bill, who helped him learn the game and develop as a fledgling player, died unexpectedly.

“It’s definitely something I think about, because he always came to my games,” Walkup said of his dad. “I just try to go out there and make him proud, as I always did.”

Walkup originally played baseball, like his father, but even when he decided he wanted to go in another direction athletically, his dad was there to help him make the transition.

“My dad got me into baseball but I didn’t like it too much, so around sixth grade I started getting into basketball,” Walkup said. “He had always played baseball, so he didn’t really know how to relate, but he kind of took me to the gym and stuff. By the time I got to eighth grade, we were going daily and that’s basically how I got into it. I played a lot to see him a lot because my parents were divorced — it was a way for me to see him.”

Walkup relied heavily on his mother Liz and his older sister Cary, who is now a sophomore at the University of Oklahoma, to deal with the loss. Walkup not only eventually came to terms with his father’s death, but he is now also one of the more outgoing and grounded players on Ryan’s roster.

Ryan’s Ryan Walkup splits two Grapevine defenders during a recent game at Billy Ryan Gymnasium. Walkup has overcome family tragedy to excel on the basketball court.
“It’s amazing,” Ryan senior guard Austin Knight said. “I can’t imagine going through that. Where he’s at right now is very admirable, very impressive. He’s very well-adjusted.”

One of four underclassmen for the Raiders, Walkup is averaging 6.9 points and 4.5 rebounds per game. Ryan is 13-10 overall and 3-4 in District 5-5A heading into tonight’s 8 p.m. home game against Keller. Walkup’s strong work ethic is one of the biggest reasons he has had success this season.

“I like to work hard,” Walkup said. “It just gives me a sense of fulfillment. My dad taught me work ethic and always taught me to go as hard as I could and be as good as I could, so that’s something I like to do.”

That strong work ethic is one that not only helps him, but also his teammates push themselves.

“He’s only a junior, but he has shown so much improvement from the very beginning of the season until now,” Knight said. “He’s a great guy and a great player. It gives us encouragement to see him work so hard.”

Walkup also counters his size disadvantage by relying on both hustle and quickness.

“It’s been a disadvantage,” Walkup said of his height. “I just have to try to stay smart and do the right moves to try to equal out the size disadvantage that I do have. It kind of sucks, but I try to work hard at it. I think I have an advantage running sometimes, because a lot of the big guys can’t run.”

Overstreet is glad to see Walkup and his fellow underclassmen getting some valuable experience under their belts this season. Ryan returned just one starter this year from last season’s senior-laden playoff team but is in position to make another run at a playoff berth with a relatively youthful roster.

“We’re obviously going to have some experience coming back next year,” Overstreet said. “And, once again, he’s [Walkup] a silent leader. He leads by example and is a very dependable kid and just a great team player.”

Being on the varsity this season has been both therapeutic and fun for Walkup, who had a 17-point outing against Guyer on Nov. 29.

“It’s cool,” Walkup said. “I think I’m having a better year than I thought I would. I’m just looking forward to next year, too, and getting better. Being with the guys, working hard and going through the adversity. It’s something I can lean back on with all of the stress in my life.”

And while his on-court persona is one that is admirable, it’s what he has accomplished off the court that has been even more impressive.

“He’s a very strong-willed kid,” Overstreet said. “Very courageous. It’s amazing for a kid that age to deal with something of that extent and still maintain the attitude he has on a daily basis and the work ethic he has on a daily basis.”
CHUCK COX can be reached at 940-566-6872. His e-mail address is ccox@dentonrc.com
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote