View Single Post
Old 10-09-2006, 06:08 AM   #18
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

No Joshin'

Howard's contract status isn't a laughing matter

By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Josh Howard can't help but notice who's signed and who's signed for what.

And he can't help but wonder why he isn't.

Eligible for an extension for the first time in his career, the Mavericks' starting small forward might not have a new long-term contract in place before the start of his fourth season.

And if a deal isn't done by the league's Oct. 31 deadline, Howard is prepared to test the market next summer, albeit as a restricted free agent. The Mavs would have the right to match any offer he would receive.

"I don't get the whole market thing," Howard said last week. "I've never experienced that. I don't understand it, but if they feel it's not the right time, I'll have one more great year here."

Howard isn't throwing down the gauntlet and calling this his last season in a Mavs uniform. He does remain puzzled at the contract impasse.

Despite being an emerging NBA star, and acknowledged as a cornerstone of the defending Western Conference champions, off-season negotiations haven't produced much.

"We're getting close to the deadline and we're still talking, but we're not there yet," Howard's agent, Jeff Schwartz, said.

Mavs owner Mark Cuban and president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson indicated that reaching an agreement by the end of the month is an option, not a priority.

"Of course we'd like to get it done, but we'll see what happens," Cuban said.

Added Nelson: "I don't think either side has any sense of urgency. It would be nice to have a deal done, but Josh isn't going anywhere. He wants to be here and we want him to be here."

The urgency issue is somewhat different in Howard's camp. "I'm going to focus on the next three weeks," Schwartz said.

So would Howard rather sign now?

"Any player in my situation would, that's been playing hard their whole career," he said. "I just have to roll with the punches. If Mark feels it's not the right time and Donnie feels it's not the right time, I just have to be ready for next year."

Howard, 26, wants to continue his career with the franchise that drafted him with the 29th selection of the 2003 first round. He's developed into a full-time starter the past two seasons, joining Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Terry as the team's top three players.

If he's frustrated about the negotiations, Howard is doing his best to bite his tongue.

"I'll just let all the fans say it and newspapers say it," he said. "There's nothing I can say. I know my agent talks to [the Mavs' front office], I know what they're saying, and what goes back and forth."

Howard's averages of 15.6 points and 6.3 rebounds were both third on the team last season. Those numbers rose to 16.7 points and 7.4 boards in the playoff run throughthe NBA Finals.

Only five members of Howard's first-round class have agreed to extensions, with just one drafted lower than fifth. LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh each agreed to max-level contracts that, based on projections, could be worth upward of $15 million a season.

Phoenix guard Leandro Barbosa, drafted right before Howard at No. 28, recently signed a five-year deal for $33 million.

While Howard freely admits he doesn't have the same negotiating power as the top-four group, he points to extensions other comparable swingmen have signed in recent years. Tayshaun Prince, Manu Ginobili, Rashard Lewis and Mike Dunleavy have all signed multiyear deals, averaging in the $8.5 million-$9.5 million range annually.

"It was their time then," said Howard, the Mavs' lowest paid starter at $1.6 million this season. "I just have to wait for my time. We are going to use that as a scale. When the time comes, I'm going to throw those names out there and see how it goes."

Cuban has traditionally held on to the team's core pieces, with the notable exception of Steve Nash two years ago.

Nowitzki recently signed a three-year extension worth in the neighborhood of $60 million. Terry wasn't a free agent for long, agreeing to a six-year deal for $57 million during the off-season. The team also exercised the fourth year of Devin Harris' rookie contract.

Howard, however, doesn't have Nowitzki's clout or Terry's bargaining power.

Another soft market next summer and Howard's restricted status could also work in the Mavs' favor. However, signing Howard now before a potential All-Star-caliber season could mean a substantial hometown discount.

Waiting runs the risk of alienating Howard, who felt slighted three years ago when he slid to the bottom of the first round. Howard's agent said his client won't agree to a deal just to get one done.

"Both Josh and I would like to get something finalized this year," Schwartz said, "but it's got to be a deal Josh feels good about."