View Single Post
Old 10-09-2006, 10:27 PM   #59
creditXpert2003
Banned

creditXpert2003 is infamous around these partscreditXpert2003 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
I'll be interested to know what kind of numbers JHO is thinking he's worth. Since he's restricted next year anyway, I see no real reason to worry about it unless he pulls a Joe Johnson on us and asks Cuban to not match whatever offer he gets - and that seems highly unlikely.

I would just like to know his thinking on this. I somewhat feel for the guy since he's made so little money up to this point, but that's the way it works.

Maybe we'll know more later, but I find it hard to believe that Cuban's not offering him a fair deal, or that the restrictions on extensions are keeping him from being offered what he's worth.
You hit it on the head. The restrictions on his extensions that he can sign this month is at a point, where Howard and his agent feels Howard is worth more. This is the problem. Which means the hands are tied for the Mavs and Howard right now, unless Howard says he will accept the highest amount he can extend for right now. This is the problem at hand. These restrictions hinder alot of deals that most fans dont know about. This is when teams/players have to become very creative in the contracts so that they can get around some restrictions. That is why you see so many deals where the signing bonus is so high and the salary is lower. The language of the contract is very important to getting around restrictions.

Sometimes that huge signing bonus will put you close or over the cap just to get a deal done. It is very tricky. You would'nt believe what these contracts look like. The average person could not read a typical professional contract. That is why you have to have an agent. A good one as well, or you can be screwed by the language of the contract. Sometimes when you see players fire agents real quick, is because language in the contract comes to light that is not in the best interest of the player..