Thread: Give me romo
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2006, 11:27 PM   #36
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I think you just have to credit their defense for this game. There were MANY plays where Bledsoe had time--and we all know what Bledsoe can do when he has time--but evidently no one was open. I don't know how they did it, with their beat-up secondary, but they did it.

And still and all, we had TWO possessions late in the game--ahead 21-17--where a touchdown puts them away. True, we didn't get the score. But when you spot a team ten points and then get into a position to put them away, 21 points to 7 later, you have done something right.

And let's not forget the drive that netted a Vandy game-tying kick. That was balls-on. And let's not forget the pass to Crayton on fourth down. And let's not forget the deep ball to Glenn that put us on the six.

It was not Bledsoe's best day, true. But that guy was knocked around like a rag doll, thanks to our god-awful protection. Sure, I'd like to dream of a Romo who runs around and avoids the sacks and throws touchdown passes. But if Romo is anything, he's a Brett Favre starter kit. And I saw what Favre did early in his career.

You can slam Bledsoe for his mistakes, and you would be justified. But also give the guy credit for taking a veritable ass-whipping back there and never fumbling the ball away. Give him credit for lowering his head and flat-out earning a touchdown on that run. Give him credit for the third- and fourth-down conversions.

It wasn't all good, but it wasn't all bad, either. As I said before, the gameplanning was terrible. We clearly wanted to attack them with five-wide sets, and it wasn't long before that plan was abandoned. We very rarely ran max-protect plays that would give Bledsoe time to do something deep. We didn't throw deep because we didn't try to throw deep. We decided to meet their attack with an equal attack of our own, and our team wasn't up to it. Our WHOLE team. All of 'em.

We will beat their sorry asses when we see them in Dallas. And you can book that. They can't stop the run. They can't run the ball themselves. If they don't get big plays on offense, they can't beat you. We will stop those plays next time. And we will give Drew much more protection. And the results will be good.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote