View Single Post
Old 10-10-2006, 12:59 PM   #268
DLord

DLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud of

CreditX ... There is no attempt to hide who I am. People here know me because I write about basketball, specifically the Mavs. I used to play the game at the college level, but don't claim to have been great. I played 4 years, started for 3, but I'm just a guy who played, so what. I do think I understand some of the concepts of the game a bit better than most because of my background, but my writing has to speak for itself.

My life experience is not limited to writing about basketball so I tend to offer more fact-based articles rather than frothy descriptions of games and players. That's who I am. I told you about my research and level of expertise to inform, not to claim any sort of all-knowingness. The reason I mentioned it was because you didnt appear to know what I had written in the past and what my area of expertise is - while others here have read and been able to examine it for credibility for several years now.

As for the CBA, the cap, contracts, tax, and other issues of the like, you apparently have been persuaded by agents and attorneys that it is all a bunch of unknowable mumbo-jumbo. For the most part, I happen to disagree. Almost the entirety of what governs contracts is contained in the legal agreement written to govern those contracts, which is the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NBA and its players. It is a long, complex, and very detailed document. But it is available for anyone to read, study, and digest to whatever extent they wish. The Standard Player Contract is standard - and also available to read and comprehend. I have taken the time to read those on multiple occasions and work through many of the issues myself, to try to ensure what I am writing is fact-based rather than crap. (You'll find my name on Larry Coon's FAQ as someone who has worked with him to correct errors in certain areas of his FAQ.) If I have a niche in my writing, it's this specific area.

Do I know it all? Nope. But I am leery of the concept that there are mysterious unknown factors at play here, that only an attorney could possibly comprehend. That sounds like a great sales pitch by an attorney to justify his fees, but the fact remains that the documents that limit and restrict these issues are public, and are written in English. They aren't simple, but they aren't restricted to only being understood by an attorney either.

The issues you raise re Josh and the Mavs are not CBA restrictions at all. Again, your point of view sounds like what an attorney or agent might tell a player to keep him in his pocket when the offer is not what they are looking for: "Player X, there are all these restrictions the Mavs are dealing with. I'm an attorney, I know these things, you just have to trust me on it. Stick with me and we will get a deal eventually but there are obstacles right now." But my experience in life makes me aware that usually the wizardry in Oz isn't all that complex, once you are behind the curtain.

These things are knowable - you just have to do a ton of work to get there, and simplify them. My value in the business world has always been in my ability of taking and digesting very complex issues, and then making them simpler and generally understandable to the client. That's what I try to do when I write.

In the case of Josh and the lack of a contract so far, what you outline is what's called negotiating, and not much more than that.

But there is nothing I know of to prevent the Mavs from offering Josh way more money than he should reasonably be asking, based on the kind of contracts similar players have gotten at this point in their career. Maybe he's a 45-50M player right now based on comparables, but the Mavs actually could offer him about 80M if they wanted to, under the rules. That's a ton of room to play with. So they arent limited from offering what he is worth due to some sort of "league restrictions." Instead, the problem is that the two sides disagree on what he is worth, apparently. Happens all the time but there is no mystery involved.

I invite you to read what what I write going forward at db.com. Agree, disagree, trash it, enjoy it. However I'm not here to argue or debate, much less berate you or anyone else, only to help inform. So it's time for me to step back and let you and the others discuss Josh's contract.

DL

PS - - - Re the following ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by creditXpert2003
Did you even read the post where DLORD was saying I think I am an expert since my screen name has "Xpert" in it. ...
FYI it wasnt an intentional dig at your choice of screen names. I was instead responding to your angle that you were more knowledgeable on the CBA than anyone else here because you played ball in Europe. I tend to ignore screen names, for the most part, and actually had to go back and look up what in the world you were referencing because I had no idea.

However I took a shot without thinking and didnt set a rational tone in replying or discussing the issue at hand. I try to be better than that when i spend time writing on a message board. My apologies.

Last edited by DLord; 10-10-2006 at 01:14 PM.