Thread: Ka-BOOM!
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2006, 10:28 AM   #112
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

It is difficult for me to get excited about the fact that we are still spending nearly $250 BILLION dollars more than our budget allows. Great news (note sarcasm) that it is not 300+ billion more than our budget, but give me a break this is still worrisome.

What is more worrisome is that our cumulative national debt is almost 9 trillion dollars and Congress keeps moving the debt ceiling. Maybe the "pro-growth" policies of Bush II are starting to work. I am willing to keep watch and see what happens (what else can we do!!) and praise this administration if we can end the spiral. But I am compelled to ask these questions:
1) Will we ever be able to make significant strides to actually reducing the cumulative debt?
2) Is there a "tipping point" for the cumulative debt that brings down the economy?
3) With the prospects of a long protracted and expensive war(s) should we really be celebrating minor victories in the economy like those stated by Bush in the article above???

I am not an economist so I cannot answer these questions. But my gut feeling is that we cannot continue our present course and a serious economic plan needs to be put in place to actually reverse the trend that we have had since the Reagan years.

Last edited by purplefrog; 10-12-2006 at 11:50 AM.
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote