View Single Post
Old 11-02-2006, 02:29 AM   #4
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Mavs one of the 'Sweet Six'

12:44 AM CST on Thursday, November 2, 2006
[By Eddie Sefko / The Dallas Morning News]

Let the season begin.

There is no better time for a basketball fan than the start of the NBA season, because no matter what anybody thinks, they don't know for sure what's going to happen over the next six months before the playoffs start.

OK, that's not entirely true. I know what's going to happen. But I'm sworn to secrecy. I can't even tell D-Moore what's forthcoming because you know he'd blab it everywhere.

What I can tell you is that the Mavericks are one of six teams that have a legitimate chance to win the NBA championship: San Antonio, Dallas, Phoenix in the West and Miami, Chicago and Detroit in the East.

Sorry to inform the folks in Cleveland and New Jersey and Houston, but you're either a year too early or too late.

So enjoy the regular season for what it is. There will be great basketball moments and probably some surprises along the way. But it's the best time of the year – at least until the playoffs start.

MAVERICKS Q&A

Q: I love these newsletters. I also love the e-mails where you claim your opinion is entirely objective and unbiased. Do sports reporters really think they are serious journalists? You guys are no less part of the show than the Mavs dancers. So get over yourself, put on your Daisy Dukes and entertain us.

William O.

Sefko: First of all, sir, I don't look half bad in those tightey-whiteys that the Mavs dancers wear. But I absolutely draw the line at putting on a pleated skirt, although D-Moore has been known to dabble.

Hey, we're here to entertain, poke fun and, if possible, inform. But there are times when we actually have to be fair. It's one of those things that our bosses demand – whenever space permits.

•••

Q: Eddie, Eddie, Eddie. Your attempt at humor by bashing D-Moore is boring and getting old. Just stick with the facts. Hearing your opinion will go further with readers, in my humble opinion. This is a mature franchise and we need in-depth analysis about our team, not silly putty.

John D.

Sefko: Hey, you try being professional and going in-depth when you have to work with all the riff-raff around here. I won't name any names.

But your point is well-taken. Just two weeks ago, I went a whole newsletter without tearing into the ample supply of D-Moore rips that are just begging to be written. Our research indicates it was the worst-read newsletter in the long and storied history of newsletters.

Besides, how can I go in-depth when D-Moore came up to me the other day, handed me a wet paper bag and dared me to write my way out of it.

•••

Q: I live about 100 miles south of Dallas and can't come to a lot of games. How many tickets are available for fans like me to order on the phone.

Tom C.

Sefko: The Mavericks hold a few thousand tickets back for individual sales for each game. You can go online at mavs.com and purchase them or do it via the phone at 214-747-MAVS. But if it's a marquee game, call ahead as early as possible.

•••

Q: I'm responding to the incredibly absurd misconception that Jason Terry is not a clutch player. I've heard it said on national shows that he's yet to prove he can come up big in big-time situations. I think he's as clutch as anybody on the Dallas team other than Dirk and possibly Stackhouse. Are they ignorant or do they have a point?

Kyle B.

Sefko: Anybody who saw the Houston series a couple years ago, or has seen Terry drop in game-winning shots against Seattle (twice) would not be questioning his clutch ability.

If you're Avery Johnson, you have no problem whatsoever with Terry taking the shot to win or lose a game – as long as he's got a sliver of an opening.

If he has a half a step of open space, that's all it takes.

However, I would add that you shouldn't hold too much against some of the fringe national "experts." They usually know each team's stars. But keeping up with the strengths of the top four or five players on every team is a tough task.

You should simply trust your local newsletter writers.

•••

Q: I know you guys find this hard to believe, but the city that is always jealous (Houston) is jammed on the talk shows with predictions that the Rockets are a top-five team in the West. What does the dynamic duo think? And by the way, who's Robin?

Dean B.

Sefko: First of all, the Rockets should think of themselves as a top-five team in the West – assuming they are healthy. If Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady are physically fit, that team is at least a 50-win outfit.

But they aren't good enough to win the whole thing.

Secondly, D-Moore is the only one of us who has ever worn tights, so he has to be both Batman and Robin. I'm more of an Incredible Hulk sort of superhero.

•••

Q: Any word on Erick Dampier? Is he ready for the opener and do you think he'll eventually overtake DeSagana Diop for the starting job?

Michael H.

Sefko: Dampier is fine. The hamstring and hip problems seem to be behind him. And as for starting, Avery Johnson said it best this week when he said that Dampier is a starter who comes off the bench.

He will play more minutes than Diop. And he will be on the court when crunch time starts, more often than not. And, most important, he won't be on the court to get those two fouls in the first four minutes of the game.

•••

Q: Any chance of updating the picture of Dirk on the heading of this newsletter? He looks sad or frustrated in the current picture. Plus, it could be bad luck not to change it.

Pedro

Sefko: Sad and frustrated is the way D-Moore goes through life, so it was kind of an honorary picture for him. But we will take it under advisement.

Perhaps we can alternate between sad-and-frustrated Dirk and happy-and-satisfied Dirk. But we'd have to find one of those pictures, first.

And by the way, Pedro, we voted for you.

•••

Q: Is it just me, or did the Big Edster seem a bit more feisty and nastier than usual in his last newsletter? It made me wonder if the Mavs are going to start showing more of the same attitude to try to change their perception of being a soft team. Is Avery Johnson taking any pointers from Big Ed?

Tom W.

Sefko: Funny you should ask. I've been trying to get Avery to realize that I have the plan that can lead this franchise to the promised land. He followed all my suggestions last year except the one about not staying in Miami for seven straight days.

But that was then. This is now. Avery knows his team better than even I do. Personally, I thought all they really needed was me as a towel-waver down at the end of the bench. A minimum-salary guy with no illusions that he's going to take any precious playing time from the heavy lifters can be an invaluable asset. Plus, I've worked as a bodyguard at bars before (just ask Charles Barkley).

Somehow, these advances have been met with no interest by Avery.

•••

Q: What do you think about a starting lineup of Jason Terry, Josh Howard, Dirk Nowitzki, Erick Dampier or DeSagana Diop and D.J. Mbenga at small forward?

E. Jay

Sefko: I think you'd have a hard time guarding the other team. And Mbenga, for all his athletic skills, has a hard time picking up the offensive and defensive calls at center. At small forward, he would be completely lost on the court.

These days in the NBA, teams are going smaller, not bigger.

If the other team went small, you'd have no chance of stopping their penetrators without fouling.

•••

Q: Am I overreacting when I tell people that the Mavs should be scared of Don Nelson and the Warriors? Didn't they own the Mavs last year?

Mario

Sefko: Yes, they did own the Mavericks, winning three out of four times against the Mavericks, including both games in Dallas.

Nelson would take that right now and forego the entire season series.

Last season was the definition of a bad matchup. The Mavericks had trouble with Jason Richardson every time they played him.

Wouldn't it be interesting if the Mavericks and Warriors ended up meeting in the first round as the Nos. 1 and 8 seeds? I'm betting the Mavericks can think of other matchups they'd rather see.

Last edited by kriD; 11-02-2006 at 02:29 AM.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote