View Single Post
Old 01-13-2007, 01:52 AM   #465
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
This show did not do it for me. I was looking forward to seeing it on DVD since it didn't come to a theatre near me. I thought it sucked. I didn't laugh at all and I thought the ending sucked. What was the point?

Don't come back at me with some independant artsy film snob mumbo jumbo...I know one of those when I see one. This wasn't it. I wanna know really what makes this movie good to so many people and "critics"..

Conclusion: Boring
CONTAINS SPOILERS

Little Miss Sunshine was one of my favorite movies of the year for several reasons:

The acting: Every single actor absolutely nailed their part. Alan Arkin was a gem, Toni Collete gave a great performance (lots of little things about her that I loved), Carrell was a delightful mix of comedy and tragedy, Dano's meltdown in the van was impressive, and Greg Kinnear brought awesome smarm to his role. The thing that is worrisome with such a big cast is that the characters could become one-dimensional. Every one of the main characters had great depth to them.

The story itself: One of the better mixes of comedy and tragedy I have ever seen. I was dying of laughter in the theater, but was also touched by several poignant scenes. (The reaction of Kinnear to his father's death, Carrell's scene in the gas station, the ala-mode-y scene in the diner all come to mind.)

Formal elements: As far as genre, it was a perfect road movie. Great cinematography, excellent pacing/editing, and how can you go wrong with Sufjan providing most of your score?

It is what it is, a story about a dysfunctional family, how they interact, and how they ultimately come together. It just so happened that it was done really, really well, all the more impressive that it was done by a pair of first-time filmmakers.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote