View Single Post
Old 01-23-2007, 12:18 AM   #64
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
As we enter the NBA trading season, I wonder...where are the Nash-type deals?

As common wisdom has it, the Mavs traded Nash for Dampier and got better as a result.

Now, when you discuss trades, you don't ever discuss something like Nash for Dampier. But the Mavs did it, and they won in the offing.

So why not more trades like this? I'm talking about trades where a team takes a piece that is perceived as much more valuable than the other, but that knows the new piece will complement the team that much better.

Are the Mavs just that much more gutsy than other teams? Or was it just a once-in-a-lifetime confluence of player fits?

What I wonder is this: Should teams be more willing to trade their multiple All-Stars for role players who fit their teams well?

Are teams, besides the Mavericks, gutsy enough to do this? Do you think the results would be just as good for them as they were for the Mavericks? Why don't we see more of this type of deal?
I imagine that in a world where all franchises have a perfect ability to forsee the future, these types of things might happen frequently. But then again, with perfect foresight we might all know that a 30 year old point guard is going to take his game to whole new level, in which case might happily give him a huge raise and agree to pay him $10 million per year when he hits his mid 30's, even tho Mike Bibby had made him look like his little bitch during a playoff series loss which ended an utterly forgettable year.

fwiw....I'm still way pissed about the Cowboys letting Ken Norton Jr go, and don't even get me started on the rangers.....

Jeff Burroughs for Adrian Devine??? You gotta be kidding me.

(for those of you who don't get the reference, Jeff Burroughs won back to back NL MVPs for the braves, as I recall, immediately after leaving the rangers)

anyhoo....

The Mavs took a big step backwards in '04, and only a fool would have, ummm, stayed the course.

jamison for Stack and Harris -- I still like that deal, and might like it even more after harris develops for another year or two....

walker for Jet -- no wonder the Hawks are bottom feeders....

signing a 12 & 12 center -- seemed like a great idea at the time, tho it hasn't been all roses....

not matching the Suns gazillion dollar multi-decade offer to a point guard who'd just been bitchslapped by Mike Bibby -- not an easy call, even in hindsight....

you win some, you lose some.

all the whiney bitchey 'i'm oh so mad at cuban for letting nash and fin go' stuff is just silly. organizations have to make tough choices every day (Herschel Walker for a bunch of draft picks, are you kiddin' me?).....

cheers