View Single Post
Old 02-03-2007, 02:06 PM   #15
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

I like it and hate it at the same time.

Anyone who feels like teen abstinence works should take a look at the numbers in my home state, Arkansas. 101.7 per 1000 teen girls get knocked up (per the CCSSO ARKANSAS PROFILE of HIV, STD, AND TEEN PREGNANCY study in 2002).
It is the worst per capita in the nation. The state policy is teaching abstinence, and nothing else. I don't think anyone can argue that it has been a failure. However the leaders of that state will never allow any other option to even cross their mind, much less their ballots.

I like that Texas is willing to admit that teaching abstinence only won't work. However I really don't like this approach. I don't have an alternative, so don't ask what I would do. But I know I just don't like this.