Thread: Carbon Guilt
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 03:36 PM   #19
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishForLunch
So raising livestock has no effect on greenhouse effect?

Why is it that CO2 levels are the only thing that concerns you regarding green house gases and its link to Climate change.

How about Methane, Water Vapor is that not a concern to you, or doesn't fit your agenda?
We are rapidly getting into areas of climatology and environmental science that likely require some formal training, but I will give it a go. While methane is a problem, it's toxic effects are mostly due to the ozone created by CO2. It is my understanding that under more normal environmental conditions methane (not sure about water vapor) gas will move out of the atmosphere relatively quickly and have no adverse effect. With the atmosphere created by CO2 accumulation, methane becomes stuck close to the earth and creates a secondary toxic event. In other words, limit C02 emissions and the potential adverse effects of methane are greatly reduced or maybe even eliminated. CO2 is the lynchpin.

I am detecting a suspicion on your part that this is like a domino effect scenario where you target one thing (CO2) and then after you acheive your goal, you start working on something else (methane). If this is the agenda of environmentalists they will not win that battle imo. Like Zoidberg said, there is available technology out there to capture CO2, so it is within our reach if we decide to take to on the challenge. Also, the scientific consensus is that CO2 is the major contributor.