View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 04:00 PM   #94
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Zoidberg
Believe me, you in USA have to rethink a lot about energy prices, as the top is nowhere near reached yet, especially in USA. You pay what? 3 Dollar for a gallon gasoline! LOL. I feel very pity for you. Even a little teardrop is running down my cheek.

We have to pay 1,31 Dollar for 0,264 gallons at the moment. This is 4,96 Dollar per gallon! By the way this is not the highest price we have had here. And belive it or not, here in Germany the people have decided furthermore to drive with a car and to fly in holiday without changing their habits. But maybe in USA everything is a little different.
There is a reason that gasoline is cheap here, we don't live that close together. Average commute time in the US is about 16miles and ~25 minutes. That's with autos. What is it in germany?

Here is a blog entry talking about his commute

Quote:
I have to commute about 80 kilometres every day to my office. When I take my car it costs me about 5 € just for gas. All other car related costs (maintenance...) not included. The good thing about using the car is that I need 35-40 minutes for one way.

At the same time, my company is paying me the ride with public transportation. First I would have to take a bus, than a train and than a bus again to get to work. It takes me 65-70 minutes door to door, but I can use the time to read, to make notes or work on my computer. Furthermore it is way more ecological and relaxing.
As you can see his 35-40 minutes would be just a little more than average here but instead he is forced to go 65-70 minutes (per day) on a train.

There is a BIG "cost" to your higher gasoline. Not only in smaller homes but in commute times. You can have it.

I've seen the same thing in Japan and other highly urban areas. The living space is miniscule and the commute pretty bad.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 03-11-2007 at 04:04 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote