Thread: Define Irony...
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2007, 10:32 AM   #10
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
that too although there are some anarchists that really just show up at protests just to throw bricks and burn things.
In fairness to the brick throwing and thing-burning anarchists, they have a little different take on things than you or I. Among other things, they don't view the destruction of inanimate objects as violence in the same way clocking a fellow upside the head is an act of violence.

...thinking back to the WTO protests in Seattle a few years back, if you recall the event, a group of anarchists there threw some rocks through some Starbucks windows, and storm-trooper clad police responded by beating the ever-livin' shit out of a bunch neo-hippies.

...or thinking of the movie, Flight Club, (which was basically a cautionary tale about anarchism)......with the exception of the Fight Club itself, all of the violence initiated by Project Mayhem was directed at buildings and things, not at people -- in stark contrast, man-breasted Meatloaf Bob get's his brains blown out by the property protecting police.

which brings us back to "just throwing bricks and burning things"....they're protesting the *injustice* of a legal/police system that protects property at the expense of people, and busting windows is a way of expressing this protest.

i disagree with them, at a very fundamental level, but I nonetheless admire their quixotic nature.

cheers