View Single Post
Old 04-01-2007, 10:21 AM   #1
Steve13

Steve13 will become famous soon enoughSteve13 will become famous soon enough
Default Jazz Vs Rockets first round series

Got to admit this is a series I'm really looking forward to one that I could see going the distance.

Both teams have inside scoring options, both teams have some good scoring guards, good enough depth and defense. Houston have the best defensive team in the league stats wise and two superstars in Yao and T-mac. Good on the ball defenders. Shane Battier was quite a pick-up for that team. Many are talking about him being the defensive player of the year this season. While also adding some offense and three-point shooting.

Utah have a very strong frontcourt with AK47, Boozer and Okur. Which is pretty tough to stop inside and out. Okur is having his best season yet while Boozer has been a consistant 20 and 10 guy all season long.

Granted the Jazz don't have any shooting guard in comparision to say Tracy Mcgrady but they do have one of the best point guards in the league and a guy 2nd to Nash in assists in Deron Williams. Compared to Houston who have only Rafer Alston who while he is a good shooter is very streaky and isn't in the class of Williams. Utah may well start Derek Fisher not only due to him being their next best option at SG but because of his great championship experience he has. Not sure match-up wise with T-mac being so much bigger than Fisher and who guards who there.

Coaching battle will be key, both JVG and Sloan are very experienced and defensive minded guys who always want their players to play hard and nothing else will be ok. Hense why JVG has been so tough on Bonzi Wells. Who If healthly could be a difference maker. E.g. his performance against the Spurs in the playoffs last season. Although yes he was in a contract year.

Yao looks to be trying to get back to his best, he struggled a little after coming back from injury now he seems to be getting back to normal.39 and 11 last game against L.A proves this.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Mavs/Rockets in the 2nd round. Houston would be a tougher match-up but I dunno I want to see the Mavs beat the best possible teams and to me the Rockets are a better team than the Jazz. Mainly with Yao back as him and T-mac are one of the best two duo's in the league. They play great defense and have good role players which is dangerous for any team to face. Mainly in a 7 game series.

That said this should still be a good series and the best out of all the first round series that I see happening.

Just wanted to get my thoughts on here on the forum about two very good teams going head to head.

Although Utah have won their division the two teams are battling for who has homecourt. Funny enough the two teams meet tonight in Houston. Should be a good preview.