View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007, 06:44 AM   #17
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

MAVS PLAYBOOK

George, Howard key Mavs' run

By JEFF CAPLAN
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS -- The Mavericks needed one spurt -- a 14-2 run to end the first half and open the second -- to shut down the Clippers 96-86 and lock up the No. 1 seed.

And they did it by playing the versatile style on both ends that Mavs coach Avery Johnson said had been eluding his club over the past two weeks.

Even better were the two players who were in the thick of the decisive run. Devean George, who's still working his way back from a knee injury, and Josh Howard, who missed Saturday's game with a sprained ankle, combined for eight of the 14 points.

George had a 3-pointer, plus two of his three steals in that 2-minute, 23-second span that blew open a 44-43 Mavs lead into an 58-45 cushion just 1:07 into the third quarter.

George, who logged 33 minutes, tying his longest stretch since returning from the knee injury, also had an offensive rebound that led to Howard's deep 3-pointer, his only 3-point attempt of the game. That capped the run.

"I'm trying to build a rhythm and that's pretty much my role to be all over the place," George said. "I try to knock shots down when I'm open and really on defense try to make things happen, get deflections, try to disrupt their offense."

Howard had five of his 16 points during the decisive run. He played 22:31 and added four rebounds and three assists.

While Johnson plans to rest key players in the final five games, starting with Dirk Nowitzki and Jerry Stackhouse on Wednesday at Minnesota, the energetic Howard said he prefers to keep on playing.

"I had my two days off," Howard said. "I missed the game in Denver, then [against Portland]. Keep the rhythm."

Dampier aggravates shoulder

Erick Dampier headed to the locker room early in the first quarter after aggravating his strained right shoulder. Avery Johnson said initial reports are positive, but that Dampier will have an MRI today as a precaution.

DeSagana Diop was the benefactor, logging 31 minutes, just the second time this season he's played 30 or more.

"I think it's a good thing coming down to the playoffs," Diop said of the extra minutes. He finished with nine rebounds, four offensive, two steals and two blocks.

Kevin Willis, the Mavs' emergency center who signed to a 10-day contract last week, did not play.

Clippers making push

The Clippers hope to meet the Mavs again in a couple of weeks in the playoffs. By then they figure to be closer to full strength with the possible return of Sam Cassell and Tim Thomas.

Cassell (back spasms) and Thomas (sprained left wrist) didn't play Monday. Cassell said he hopes to return for the last three or four games. Coach Mike Dunleavy said he doesn't know when Thomas will be back.

The Clippers dropped to percentage points behind Golden State for the eighth seed in the Western Conference playoffs. The Warriors defeated Utah late Monday.

"Right now it's all about just trying to get into the playoffs," Dunleavy said. "If we can get one guy back just to get us into the playoffs, it'll be worth it."

Briefly

Avery Johnson returned to the starting lineup he used before Devean George got hurt, going with George instead of Devin Harris for a bigger backcourt with Jason Terry.

The Mavs made 25 of 29 foul shots, but were 22-of-22 until the final three minutes of the game. Jason Terry and Dirk Nowitzki each missed one, and DeSagana Diop missed two.

The Mavs' bench outscored the Clippers' reserves 34-11, led by Jerry Stackhouse with 18 points and Devin Harris with 14.

SPOTLIGHT: THE NO. 1 SEED

Mavs coach Avery Johnson will take the No. 1 seed in the Western Conference, but he's proof that finishing No. 1 at the end of the regular season doesn't mean anything come playoff time.

Johnson harkened back to the 1995 West finals: No. 1 Spurs vs. No. 6 Rockets. The Spurs had won five of six from the Rockets in the regular season.

"They won 46 [47] games and we won 62, and they won the championship," Johnson said. "I just think if you are the best team, you are going to win the championship whatever your regular-season record is."

The Rockets won that series 4-2, the same as Miami's Finals victory over the Mavs last season. Miami finished the job on the Mavs' home court.

"If you get it and can use it to your advantage," Johnson said of the home-court edge, "that's the perfect world."
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote