View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 12:14 PM   #62
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
Smiles, what is the purpose of this thread?

I believe that the discussion taking place is relevant to the "Massacre at Virginia Tech"...

Murphy, your statement is a blanket assesment from your living room and if you have kids, maybe from them. My wife's conclusion comes from working with kids all over the state as well as 2 other states. I guess you didn't read any of my posts AFTER I disagreed with one thing. I said you were right about the outlets.. which in turn, can be a main reason why kids are effected by verbal abuse more today than when we were growing up. Me personally, for example, may have suffered only from low self-esteem from being teased, where as now these kids just internalize and _______fill in the blank on what happens from there. Luckily, there are people like my wife with a gift of working with kids.
It's not an assessment from my living room. It is an assessment based upon my time spent inside of schools throughout the past couple of years....from elementary schools to my on-going education at the graduate level... from my work to re-search and to my continuing education. I also believe that you might not have portrayed your wife's thoughts in a manner that are 100% congruent with whatever research she has done.. even if that is how she conveyed it, she probably meant it comparably to a specific time ranging from a particular year to another..but maybe not comparable to others in the past...

And Nemesis, I'm not disagreeing with everything that you said in your post by any stretch of the imagination...

I 100% agree that there are many, many things that factor into a child growing into the type of monster that we saw with this particular incident. What approach do we take as a society to curb such disasters? Just throwing in metal detectors and limiting access to schools won't do much. It'll just change the setting in which the atrocities occur... Obviously, something has to be done to attempt to curb the development of such monsters as well.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote