View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 08:02 PM   #153
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueVan
no, im talking about wind/biofuel/any sort of alternative-fueled car. a few years ago a dutch group formulated a plan to generate massive amounts of electricity by harnessing the energy where salt-water meets freshwater at the mouth of a river (im pretty hazy on the details, i read it a long time ago)

theres enough wind in west texas alone to meet 40% of america's energy needs

the problem is fossil fuels are cheap, the infrastructure is in place, and certain parties dont want the gravy train to end, so they just shut down people who come in with new ideas (i.e the Tucker automobile, the steam powered car)
Wind car? I just don't think you realize how efficient oil is. All of the items you are talking about suffer from an inability to scale. For example the wind farms..well whattya' do when the wind stops? You still need lights, refrigerant, electricity for sensitive chemical processes. Not to mention if you are talking enviromental items, the numbers of wildlife that will be killed by those windmills would dwarf the stupidity we heard about ANWAR damager.

Those things can supplement but it's going to take nuclear to put a dent in any of this.

As far as companies stiffling alternative energy that's really a tin-foil-hat type of claim. "Possibly" in the 40s before there was global competition. But do you seriously think someone who created an alternative energy product isn't going to sell it and make a zillion bucks. All they have to do is file a patent and they are off.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote