View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 02:03 AM   #1
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Stars Offseason Thread

Season's over, new thread time. I'm finally feeling up to thinking about possible changes, etc. Here's some cap info, courtesy of Andrews:
Quote:
Next season's cap is expected to be somewhere between $47 million to $49 million. An exact figure will be released at the end of the season.

The Stars have $35.3 million committed to 14 players with one-way contracts next season. They also have $2.25 million in buyout costs still owed to Bill Guerin, which pushes them to $37.55 million in cap commitments.

Niklas Grossman and Loui Eriksson, who are both under contract next season, are expected to be roster players with the Stars next season, pushing the team to about $38.9 million for 17 players if no moves are made.
Here is the breakdown of RFAs & UFAs:
Quote:
Restricted Free Agents

Player Age 2006-07 Cap Cost Qualifying Offer Due
Jussi Jokinen (F) 24 $737,500 $605,000
Joel Lundqvist (F) 25 $580,000 $495,000
Antti Miettinen (F) 26 $450,000 $495,000
Mike Ribeiro (F) 27 $1,900,000 $1,900,000

Unrestricted Free Agents

Player Age Free Agent Status 2006-07 Cap Cost
Krys Barch (F) 25 Group VI Unrestricted Free Agent $450,000
Matthew Barnaby (F) 33 Group III Unrestricted Free Agent $625,000
Stu Barnes (F) 36 Group III Unrestricted Free Agent $1,140,000
Jon Klemm (D) 37 Group III Unrestricted Free Agent $950,000
Eric Lindros (F) 34 Group III Unrestricted Free Agent $1,550,000
Ladislav Nagy (F) 27 Group III Unrestricted Free Agent $3,000,000
Patrik Stefan (F) 26 Group III Unrestricted Free Agent $900,000
Darryl Sydor (D) 34 Group III Unrestricted Free Agent $2,128,000
From DMN...basically everyone significant on this list says they want to return. (Also, unrelated note: Zubie will have surgery this week for the abdominal strain he suffered in Game 6.)

I think everyone would agree we need to keep Ribs, Jokinen & Lundqvist out of the RFA group. Qualify Ribs, maybe explore a longer-term deal (I'd say no more than 3 years) but I wouldn't make it a priority, let's see if he can repeat. I am so over Antti Miettinen, it's not even funny.

Of the UFAs, I think we need to keep Stu(uuu) & Sydor. Sadly, I think Klemmer's going to move on since Grossman will be up here next year (sucks cause Klemmer's the most reliable 7th D in the world...how often can you say when your 7th D is in, he will almost always make a positive impact?...but I also hope he can latch onto a team that lets him play more cause he deserves it). It's not looking good for Nagy...I wasn't as down on him as some & I hate not trying to resign him b/c of the price we paid to get him, but I suspect he'll want (& will probably get) something absurd. Do we need Krys Barch with Ott back & healthy?

Is Tipp back? This is the least-conclusive we've heard Army. But as I've stated before, a) I don't think he deserves to be fired & b) who the hell would you hire to take his place?

It's gonna be a lonnnnng summer.