View Single Post
Old 05-01-2007, 05:16 PM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelNegro
The difference is that Duncan's low post game forces the Warriors to match up with him. Duncan wouldn't need to be playing perimeter defense because the warriors have to have a big man in there to guard him. Dirk doesn't play down low thus Golden State is able to get away with playing small.
I'd be willing to bet that the Warriors would go small with matching up with Duncan for as long as they could. I think many of us remember the games were Duncan turned the ball over 5-7 times against the Mavs when Nellie was at the helm when the Mavs guarded him with quick defenders doubling immediately once he caught the ball. Well, we also remember the 40 point games..

But, there's a couple of big difference between this Nellie coached Warriors team and his Mavs coached teams.. Quickness and athleticism..

With that being said, the Duncan would still make them pay because of his ability to pass out of the double team to find the open man.. but that only works if you have guys that can hit the outside shot and/or can get to the rim. The Mavs aren't hitting alot of outside shots last time I checked.

But good post. I'm not sure that the Warriors would be willing to back off of their smaller lineup. They seem all about trying to impose their will. Where the Spurs would give them more trouble than the Mavs is with their perimeter defense.. I think the Spurs could probably do a better job of cutting off some of their penetration.

Last edited by Murphy3; 05-01-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote