View Single Post
Old 05-04-2007, 08:02 PM   #34
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

First of all, Thank you, Dirk, for the great regular season!

I don't understand why people say those 82 games are meaningless. Why playing them if they are? NBA is entertainment, and during the regular season the Mavs' fans where entertained well.

Now, the last 6 games where not what we expected, and I am disappointed as anyone. I don't blame Dirk alone that we lost, but I blame him for that he disappeared. That is simply not acceptable. We were down by two points, and when we needed him most in the third quarter he didn't play, no excuse.

Why?

My guess is, he just wanted to get it over with, just go home, end this nightmare of a series. Hope he has a great time on an island in the Indian ocean or wherever...

For all those who think he's a good player, but not a superstar who can lead his team to the promised land, you are probably right. Those players perform best when the pressure is the highest, and Dirk just didn't bring it. The pressure was just too much for him.

Why was there so much pressure?
1. Finals disaster last year
2. Best regular season record this year
3. MVP debate
4. 1. seed against 8. seed who just barely made it to the playoffs
5. Self-inflicted pressure by always saying that only a championship counts

Why was it so difficult?
1. Warriors were bad matchup
2. Double/Triple teams effective because of no inside scoring thread
3. Their athletic guards were better than ours
4. They shot much better than they did in the regular season (including a lot of unbelievably lucky shots)
5. Their coach had a special agenda against us, and knew more about us than our coach about them
6. Their fans where all pumped up for their first time in the playoffs for ages
7. No Mavs player played consistently up to his potential.
8. We didn't have the right player to beat the Warriors. Damp on the bench. Buckner and George sucked. Howard plays only one half of a game. Terry's shooting percentage. Harris good and bad. Stackhouse good and bad. Diop no scoring threat. Avery confused.

What now?
1. Trade Dirk?
If we trade Dirk, I am afraid Dallas soon falls apart like Sacramento did.

2. Change players around Dirk?
Whatever we do, we must address the choke issue. With the same cast of players, we will run into the same brick wall as in the last three postseasons. We need some good tough-minded player to play alongside Dirk, like Stackhouse (just better, younger and without the turnovers and bone-headed plays).

If I where Cuban, I would give it one more try with Dirk, but probably trade Dampier and Terry.

Maybe Dirk isn't the one who can lead a team to a championship, but how many players are there who can? I think he's still the Mavs' best chance right now.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote