View Single Post
Old 05-05-2007, 11:09 AM   #124
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

First of all, Dirk is the solution, not the problem. Mavs have to find a way to enhance his unbelieveable skills rather than saying he just can't do it. So, imo the 6 billion dollar question is how do we build a championship team around Dirk. Here is my list of issues ranked from most important to least important:

1. SG: When all is said and done, I am still skeptical that JET and Devin are a championship caliber backcourt. Imo, Devin has the better total package, so I would see if JET has any capital out there. He might not. If there are no takers then we groom him to be our 6th man.

2. Sharpshooter: I still think we need another sharpshooter that we can count on to make open shots against a zone. I don't know if anyone is available, but someone like Kyle Korver comes to mind. I see this hypothetical shooter as the #7 or 8 guy off the bench.

3. PF/C: I would like to see someone other than Dirk play the role of PF on some occassions and C against teams like GSW and Phoenix. Diop played some great ball but I am not sure he is the solution. Again, I do not know who is available to play this role.

4. Too much redundancy: I don't see the point to keeping both Buck and George. I started the season really liking Buckner but he was a huge disappointment.

5. Another superstar to team with Dirk: I think we have to make a decision if JHO is going to be that guy. If not, then I say we shop him around. Maybe a package of JHO and JET could get us a low post scorer or a Paul Pierce type SG.

6. Coaching. Avery is still young and relatively inexperienced and I think he has the potential to be a HOF coach. Do we have time to wait for his development? I say this is a close call but we definitely want to win now rather than 5 years from now. I think we can watch his progress over the next two years. On the other hand, I am a bit concerned the players began to tune him out some during the GSW series.

I am concerned that Dirk seemed so discouraged and confused during the GSW series. Something must be going on with the coaching or his teammates because I do not believe he lacks heart or leadership ability. He showed us too much during last year's playoffs to come to that conclusion. So, imo the Mavs have to find a way to maximize his skills and allow the game to flow from Dirk's strengths. Why do we always say "Dirk has to change this... or Dirk has to become more of that". He is an amazing player with never-before seen skills (for a 7 footer). While everyone (including Dirk) can improve aspects of their game, at end of the day and during crunch time great players should be allowed to do what they do best. Although I am not happy with way Dirk played in the GSW series, nor I am happy with his lack of enthusiasm. But the answer is not to trade Dirk or change Dirk.. The solution imo is to find a way to maximize Dirk.

No matter what, never trade Dirk. Period. He is a great player and teammate. Never never trade Dirk. Don't even think about it because you WILL be sorry.