View Single Post
Old 05-05-2007, 01:18 PM   #127
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmalaki
Their offensive games really aren't that similar at all. Neither has a well-rounded post game (i.e. Tim Duncan). KG isn't the shooter that Dirk is, but he can score in more ways (better penetrator, better finisher). He is also a better passer.

The offensive drop-off from Dirk to KG is minute. However, KG brings much more to the table (better passer, rebounder and defender). He hasn't had much playoff success but he was really only on a good team for one year, and that team went to the WCF before losing to LA (after Cassell got hurt). He hasn't really had the luxury of playing on a talented team like the Mavs, and I don't ever recall him vanishing in a series. There is a difference between losing a series, and losing a series and not showing up at all.

KG on the Mavs would be scary...and I hope it never happens.....
*sigh*

Garnett is a better penetrator? So you're saying he sets up on the wing and penetrates regularly? Really?

Garnett is a better finisher. Garnett does not have a reliable post up game, even at the high post. He's mainly a jump shooter or a finisher of lobs.

Hell, with Garnett on this team, they would need an offensive playmaker even more. If Garnett was asked to create as much offense as Dirk was during the regular season, the offensive efficiency of this team would drop a lot.

Garnett on the Mav would require quite a few personnel changes. Garnett playing next to Damp and Diop would be worthless. Garnett's best skills mirror those guys, rebounding and defense. These past couple season has proved that Garnett plays best when he's next to a center that can move out and hit a 15 footer, ala Mark Blount.

Trading Dirk for KG would make this team worse, not better.

Edit to add:

The one thing Garnett would bring to this team would be a better mindset, that's for sure. He's the most intense guy in the NBA. But Garnett is no where near a dominant scorer. So if you brought him onto this team as it stands, your most reliable crunch time scorer would be JET.

Do you really want to be choosing from Josh, Jet and Garnett for who to go to when you HAVE to have a bucket? Dirk may have failed miserably in that area this postseason, but at least he's done it numerous times in the past. He's shown he can.

Hell even Simmons, who's been very hard on Dirk, wrote an article yesterday stating that Dirk is still a great player, and can recover from this. Let's not act like Dirk can't come back next year and put this team on his back just like he did in the '06 playoffs. I just think he needs a tweak to his supporting cast.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 05-05-2007 at 01:27 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote