View Single Post
Old 05-11-2007, 03:09 PM   #223
DarenG

DarenG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
Let's hear to your top five players, please.
When I think about the answer I look at it from who would I want to build a team around more then Dirk. Here are some:

Kobe Bryant - yes selfish but proven when matched with another star he can get you there.
Dwayne Wade - shown ability to be clutch when healthy and put a team on his back
Steve Nash - defense aside (even though he was a leader in taking charges) - Nash is the type of player that makes others around him better - he is a general on the floor.
Tim Duncan - will go down as one of the best defensive and fundamentally sound center/PF ever.
LeBron James - IMO, it's just a matter of time before they add a Dirk like player to put him over the top.

These are guys that if I started a franchise tomorrow I would build around before selecting Dirk. Do you see a trend in my picks? These are all guys that have shown under pressure they will put their teams on their backs and show up. They might not win but they sure as hell show up. If I had to start over and build around someone I would take any one of those players first. If I got one of those guys guess who would be my second pick? Dirk.

I am not trying to take anything away from Dirk as a player. He IS one of the best players in this league. Top 10 in my book. I am one of the ones that thinks if Dirk is your best player, we can't win a title. I think Dirk is a Scottie Pippen to some team's Jordon. I think Dirk would put any team over the top that has a legit super star...period. Hand the title to that team. That's not a bad thing. That's a huge complement because there are not many players in the league that you can say "that guy would put you over the top". That's Dirk.