View Single Post
Old 05-17-2007, 06:04 PM   #129
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelNegro
Yes, you get a player's Bird rights when you trade for them, but since Billups is going to be a free agent Detroit can't trade him without re-signing him first. If he's signed, then it doesn't matter if the Mavs have his Bird rights or not because he'll already be under contract.

If you're thinking that Detroit could just sign him to a small dollar, one year deal then trade him to the Mavs, then the Mavs could give him big money the next offseason, that doesn't work for two very important reasons. First, that would be an obvious attempt to circumvent the collective bargaining agreement and Kevin McHale can tell you that's not a good idea. Second, Billups would never agree to it anyways because he'd be putting himself at incredible risk because if he gets injured the only money he's guaranteed is that 1 year of small money and he'd never be able to recoup the big money that was supposed to follow in future years.
That makes sense to me. Thanks for the feedback on this. I appreciate the input you just provided, because what you just said is not a part of the basic information that mist people know about. I just wonder what Cuban has up his sleeve that the buzz is so high about getting Billups? What do you think Cuban will do in the off-season? Are you with Nike or Jordan brand? If so, then send me a PM, because I have a feeling on who you are.