View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 05:05 PM   #25
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
...do you think it's possible that own-race favor is a big a factor in NBA marketing, maybe as big as it is in American Idol voting?
I think it's a factor in NBA marketing, but way less of a factor than 99% of all other entertainment marketing, and certainly folks prefer to watch similar folks then folks who are different.
A show of hands from all the white folks who watch BET routinely?

Now a show of hands from all the white folks that watch Lost, the whitest collection of people since Gilligan's Island?
(and I realize there's a black dude and his black son on the island, I believe their names are Fred and Lamont.....and of course there's an Iraqi dude, I believe his name is Baboo....still, the tokens are only slightly more token than Token on S. Park)

anyway.........is the NBA going out of it's way to appeal to a crowd that's a little less *street* (ie, white)? Obviously.

Does the NBA go so far as to cause sports writers around the country to vote for Steve and Dirk for MVP because they're white dudes? Not even close.

(The next logical choice for MVP, ironically, was Tim Duncan - he's almost whiter than me. Listen to the dude talk--Timmy sounds so white that he makes me sound like I'm straight from the 'hood, no shiznit.)

cheers

Last edited by alexamenos; 05-21-2007 at 05:05 PM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote