View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 06:44 PM   #21
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Wells wants to return to Rockets with new coach

Associated Press

Updated: May 22, 2007, 11:39 PM ET

HOUSTON -- Guard Bonzi Wells, who mysteriously left the Houston Rockets team with five games left in the regular season, said Tuesday he would like to return to the team.

Wells told Houston television station KRIV that while he thought he was the missing link for the team that then-coach Jeff Van Gundy didn't think he fit in.

"He told me that I could ask to be waived and I told him I didn't want to be anywhere else. I hated the way it ended because I really started to appreciate him," Wells said.

Van Gundy, who was fired as the Rockets coach on Friday, said, "Perception and reality are often very different. I never thought it was personal between Bonzi and I."

Wells thinks the anticipated hiring of Rick Adelman as the Rockets coach is a good sign for Wells. Van Gundy agreed it could be a plus for Wells, who played for Adelman in Sacramento.

"I thought it was like God sent him here for me. Rick Adelman is a great coach," Wells said. "He's the best coach I have ever had. He really knows how to relate to his players. He does a great job of letting guys be themselves."

Wells signed a two-year contract before last season with an opt-out clause after the first year. The contract is valued at about $4.4 million.

"I have a decision to make and so do they. I wanted to be here even if Jeff Van Gundy was going to be here," Wells said.

Last edited by V2M; 05-23-2007 at 06:44 PM.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote